Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco Suit Ideas

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I've been looking hard at the Spier and Mackay dark brown 3/2 roll suit that they have on their website. It's tough because there are so few good brown suit options. I'm not certain the color will be good on me, and it's a harder color to accessorize generally. Brown isn't a color we're used to seeing in a suit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)
    Ah, good ol' Dan. I miss the days when he gave practical advice on how to dress.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    I've been looking hard at the Spier and Mackay dark brown 3/2 roll suit that they have on their website. It's tough because there are so few good brown suit options. I'm not certain the color will be good on me, and it's a harder color to accessorize generally. Brown isn't a color we're used to seeing in a suit.
    I picked up the dark brown birdseye from S&M about two years ago precisely because it was a departure from the usual greys and blues.

A dark brown really isn't hard to match, if you don't get stuck on the fact it's the suit. If I asked what colour pants go with dark brown shoes, the answer would be pretty much everything. That holds true with a suit in dark brown. It's only complicated when the brown has a distinct hue of another colour, what would be labelled a ----ish brown. Otherwise you can pretty much treat it like charcoal.

The one choice I make that this forum may contest is to wear black shoes/belt. None of my brown shoes are as dark as the suit, and being in a more conservative environment I prefer to keep the shoes darker than the suit. I figure if almost every military in the world is good with black footwear against brown/khaki/navy in mess uniforms... .

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    I picked up the dark brown birdseye from S&M about two years ago precisely because it was a departure from the usual greys and blues.

A dark brown really isn't hard to match, if you don't get stuck on the fact it's the suit. If I asked what colour pants go with dark brown shoes, the answer would be pretty much everything. That holds true with a suit in dark brown. It's only complicated when the brown has a distinct hue of another colour, what would be labelled a ----ish brown. Otherwise you can pretty much treat it like charcoal.

The one choice I make that this forum may contest is to wear black shoes/belt. None of my brown shoes are as dark as the suit, and being in a more conservative environment I prefer to keep the shoes darker than the suit. I figure if almost every military in the world is good with black footwear against brown/khaki/navy in mess uniforms... .
    I think black shoes / belt with a dark brown suit looks good

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Ah, good ol' Dan. I miss the days when he gave practical advice on how to dress.
    I lulz'd.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Casual brown or tan suit, white OCBD, black knit tie is a classic look.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post

Well, I punched the button late last night, so we'll see. There's a real lack of consensus on how to pair it, particularly as it relates to shoes. Some say black (I have a hard time with this), others say dark brown (which I'd tend to agree with, but every example I saw was meh), while others say medium or light brown - and are immediately contradicted by those horrified at attention being drawn to footwear because the eye is drawn there if the shoes are lighter. It's all a bit funny.

I think the secondary tone of the brown matters, like you. It will dictate what looks right. Might make for an interesting, non wheelhouse article.

In any case, I'll get to figure it out if I decide the shade of brown and cut of their neopolitan works on me.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    Well, I punched the button late last night, so we'll see. There's a real lack of consensus on how to pair it, particularly as it relates to shoes. Some say black (I have a hard time with this), others say dark brown (which I'd tend to agree with, but every example I saw was meh), while others say medium or light brown - and are immediately contradicted by those horrified at attention being drawn to footwear because the eye is drawn there if the shoes are lighter. It's all a bit funny.

I think the secondary tone of the brown matters, like you. It will dictate what looks right. Might make for an interesting, non wheelhouse article.

In any case, I'll get to figure it out if I decide the shade of brown and cut of their neopolitan works on me.
    I'm not a big fan of brown/black combinations of anything, especially brown/black suit/shoes combos. If I were worried about not having too much contrast, I would go with a medium brown maybe, like an AE bourbon color or JFitzpatrick walnut, which is on the darker side of walnut. Although I'm generally not a fan of dark brown shoes, they certainly are safe with a brown suit, right?

But--Have you thought about an oxblood/burgundy color shoe? Especially a darker shade--I think it would look great and if you don't mind a high contrast, a lighter toned oxblood.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I'm not a big fan of brown/black combinations of anything, especially brown/black suit/shoes combos. If I were worried about not having too much contrast, I would go with a medium brown maybe, like an AE bourbon color or JFitzpatrick walnut, which is on the darker side of walnut. Although I'm generally not a fan of dark brown shoes, they certainly are safe with a brown suit, right?

But--Have you thought about an oxblood/burgundy color shoe? Especially a darker shade--I think it would look great and if you don't mind a high contrast, a lighter toned oxblood.
    Yeah, I've actually got a few pairs that might work. Might being the keyword.

Burgundy JM cap toes - their version of a Strand type with a good amount of brouging. Also have a pair of cheap burgundy monk straps from Banana Republic. Either may work, either may not.

Also have a pair of Strands on the way in taupe suede. If they are dark grayer rather than khaki, they may do very well. The knaki chelseas I saw with one dark brown suit were just awful, imo.

Makes me wish I owned a pair of something from AE in dark chili. I think that would be about right.