Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tobacco Suit Ideas

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Tobacco Suit Ideas

I was recently doing some whimsical shopping at Target, planning on picking up some of their chinos since I found out that they fit me well and I like the fits they offer. While I was there I got excited to see that they had some tobacco brown chinos in the fit I had planned on buying so I grabbed a pair in my size. I continued perusing the isles evaluating their new offerings since my last visit when I happened upon an unconstructed tobacco cotton sportscoat that I started to like. I then realized that the fabric was exactly the same on the coat and the chinos. The two came out to be like 70 bucks together so in my head I was kinda like eh, why not. If anything I could wear them seperate anyways like they were intended.

Anyways this post is a bit of asking what you guys think of tobacco brown suits, how would you wear one, and a heads up that you can effectively get one for pretty dang cheap at target. I can post pics if you guys want to see the fit &/or items.

-Caveats are that it's a stretch cotton for both jacket and pants, the jacket has triple patch pockets and a (albeit removable) throat latch, functioning sleeve buttons, and from what I could tell the right color pants only came in straight fit, but that could just be my Targets stock atm.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelennor View Post
    Anyways this post is a bit of asking what you guys think of tobacco brown suits, how would you wear one, and a heads up that you can effectively get one for pretty dang cheap at target. I can post pics if you guys want to see the fit &/or items.
    Trouble is tobacco brown isn't an exact description. It varies in hue from fairly greenish to somewhat reddish, and a little in shade as well. Such variance would alter the colours appropriate to wear with it; a red tie should probably be avoided with a greenish brown suit, for instance. Your skin tone is also more important than against a grey or blue suit, as humans come in some shade of brown.

That said, I find most versions of tobacco brown is something of a middling colour, and in large quantities -- as opposed to, say, on shoes, or in a pattern -- tends to appear drab rather than neutral. Bright colours worn with it tend to clash rather than pop. It mostly reminds me of the 1980s' sad office drone stereotype.

Generic advice with tobacco brown (not knowing the exact hue) would be to favour white, black, blue. Strong shades rather than powerful colours.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)
    I have a tobacco linen suit from the SuitSupply outlet (at a very low price) a couple of years ago. It a casual color (regardless of the fabric) and should be worn as such. As an occasional piece for summer wear it’s a nice choice. I agree that accessories should be simple. Navy and cream ties work well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    I've been trying to find a tobacco brown suit on Target's website and cannot. Do you have a link?

I'm assuming tobacco brown is a lighter brown.

I'm not big on light brown suits for work, but that's just me. Nothing wrong with them. I wear a light brown sports coat for casual Friday at work. Also, I'm not big on them for night time--but I could see wearing them for daytime dress up or summer night time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    @Galcobar
    @mebejoseph

Apologies for the vague color description, here's the closest picture I can find to the color of the items in question:

https://goo.gl/images/ZGYqB3

As far as the items online, they aren't listed together as a suit because I don't believe they're meant to be worn that way. I just liked the pants and jacket separately and the fabric was identical so I'm thinking of wearing them together. I can't find the jacket, but this in "Dapper Brown" might be it with a really bad color representation:

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-stand...53#lnk=sametab

And I'm pretty sure these are the pants, with a much closer representation but still a tad darker in person I think:

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-strai...09#lnk=sametab
    Last edited by Pelennor; June 17th, 2018 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    The Target color name is Dapper Brown, and it appears darker in reality than on the website photos. I find it to be a versatile color and it works well with blues, reds, pinks etc. I wouldn't necessarily wear it as a suit, however, because chances are you will launder the pants more often than the jacket, and soon the colors wouldn't match. In the meantime mix it up with some of the other chinos you have bought and keep an eye on seasonal colors of the chinos since they will probably be heading towards clearance soon.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    I have a similar color jacket I wear with jeans--slightly different tone, but close--the one you're looking at has a bit more green in it, I think. I think you could wear it with a light blue shirt, light yellow, and white for sure. Maybe light gray?

Mine looks surprisingly good with a checkered white/purple shirt I have. I was very surprised when I tried, but I think that jacket has too much green to wear it with purple.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelennor View Post
    Apologies for the vague color description, here's the closest picture I can find to the color of the items in question:

https://goo.gl/images/ZGYqB3
    I can't pull up the Target pages -- keeps redirecting me to the international landing page -- but if my screen is fairly accurate then there's much more orange than I was expecting in that brown.

Not drab, definitely casual. I could see it as a sign in a creative field, or one where suits are expected but conformity is optional.

Autumn colours would do well, saturated greens and reds could work and probably anything you'd describe as rust. Pastels would look off, I think, and it's too far on the colour wheel for yellows.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    551 Post(s)

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)