Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annual closet clean-out anyone?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quoted
    993 Post(s)

Annual closet clean-out anyone?

With spring/summer here, I started looking though my closet and have noticed some items I haven't worn in over a year.

My motto has usually been "if I haven't used it in a year, it's gone". But then I look at some items (like a navy blazer from JC) and say "well, I might wear this out to dinner with the missus. I think I'll keep it". And so back in the closet it goes. Where it sits for another year.

Am I alone in this, or are you guys ruthless in getting rid of items you haven' t worn in X months/years?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    663 Post(s)
    Happens to me all the time. I have 3 boxes storage for seasonal clothing. ATM i have an entire box dedicated to donations that i can't bring myself to let go of even though i never wear it. I also have a 2nd box full of wool pants I never wear (field of work is extremely casual).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    866 Post(s)
    i went through this a whie back when my living space downsized drastically. i have been pretty good at sticking to it. Aside from suits and a couple of tshirts that I hang on to for nostalgia, I dont have anything that I dont wear pretty regularly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    297 Post(s)
    Usually my rule is that if I didn't wear it during the entire season/seasons that the piece of clothing is for then I will get rid of it. Just started going through my closet to free up some space. I've got a couple of jackets and pants that I'm thinking about selling right now. I also have an entire box of old dress shirts that I haven't figured out if I want to sell or donate.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)
    Yes, I keep my wardrobe down to things I actually wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1684 Post(s)
    I recommend you read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I donated or threw away about 15 garbage bags’ worth of stuff last year following that method, and have not regretted it.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    856 Post(s)
    We do this about once a year but I am down to a wardrobe that I want to wear...plus a couple seasonal items I keep around for snow days and such. This reminds me I have a bag to drop off at the dry cleaners but it has been so long I forget what clothes are in there. Likely some white shirts but I can't think of the others. Hmmmm

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quoted
    993 Post(s)
    Yeah, in reading the posts here I think it's time I took a ruthless approach to my closet and did some serious cleaning.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    I have tried to do this. I just hold on to things, just in case.

I bought a few henleys as a comparison to see which I liked best, and I do wear each. It's just that timing to wear them are limited to weekends. I don't usually change once I'm home and they are too casual for work. But sometimes I will wear the same ones more frequently since I try to keep up with laundry (due to limited storage space).

Another are warm/house sweaters, I like the idea, and when I had a house I kept at 68 I wore them all the time. Now in my radiator apartment, it is usually 75+, not as much opportunity to wear them.

Same with my workout clothes, I try to mix it up/rotate so they don't get ratty, I do frequent laundry so I take from the top of the pile.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    I think there are obvious exemptions to the 1-year rule. In the example of a navy blazer, it is a classic, and you never know maybe years down the line you will switch jobs and have an interview at a corporate office, and/or have a more formal attire at work, or attend a wedding. Or if you have a peacoat but you live in a warm climate and havent travelled in a few years, it will still be your main coat when you travel eventually. In my case, I actually bought a peacoat on sale years before I needed it for travel, and before I knew for sure I could move to a cold country.

But if it's something like a light blue checkered blazer you havent worn for years then yeah get rid of it.