Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Annual closet clean-out anyone?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    That was my next question. I donate a lot of clothing, furniture, etc. to Big Brothers Big Sisters, and they just come by with a huge truck and pick stuff up. I've never thought to ask for a receipt and don't know if they even do. I'm looking to write off more stuff on my taxes this year and want to figure out the process.
    I donate just about every type of thing to Lupus Foundation of America regularly. They always leave a receipt and are very reliable. Other charities I tried have occasionally not shown up.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1046 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I recommend you read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I donated or threw away about 15 garbage bags’ worth of stuff last year following that method, and have not regretted it.
    Thanks! I just reserved this book at the library. I think I could definitely benefit from slimming the closet down a tad.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    236 Post(s)
    One of my problem areas is ties. I accumulate a ton of ties. I probably have about 30-40 hanging in my closet. Because they are cheaper ways to change up my look, but then I end up with so many and usually only find a few that I depend on for a regular rotation (like a burgundy repp stripe, large medallion, flower pattern, textured navy). But I have the hardest time clearing them out because every now and then I feel like I want a specific, different look at work. I've tried purging them before, but then I end up using that as a justification to re-fill on new ones.

I think my point is that purging is a good thing, just be disciplined in keeping off the excess wardrobe weight because you can put it back on in a hurry.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    550 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperTexan View Post
    One of my problem areas is ties. I accumulate a ton of ties. I probably have about 30-40 hanging in my closet.
    I have maybe 100-150 ties kicking around. maybe 20 of which have any remote chance of being used some time.

i keep wanting to sell some but god damn it, it's so time consuming. i can't sell a hundred $5 ties on ebay lol.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    I have maybe 100-150 ties kicking around. maybe 20 of which have any remote chance of being used some time.

i keep wanting to sell some but god damn it, it's so time consuming. i can't sell a hundred $5 ties on ebay lol.
    I used to sell often on ebay. But after my last 2 or so attempts to sell didn't end well (winning bidder wouldn't pay, etc), unless I can sell it for more than $200, I'd rather give it away.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    I am pretty ruthless about purging, but it's more like a two-year cycle, with a few exceptions (see below). Mostly by donating--it's one of the few tax write-offs we have left after our mortgage.

Exceptions include:

I have a leather jacket that I think I paid about $500 for about 15 years ago, which was a lot for me back then (still not cheap in my mind). I have worn it maybe ten times. It is too big and always has been. But I can't seem to let myself give it away. Maybe I am hoping to one day get my money's worth out of it?

I have some clothes that have sentimental value--for example, when I was a kid I worked one summer at my uncle's pizza place near the boardwalk in Atlantic City. I have a sweatshirt from with the name and address of the place on it (BTW, it was still there when I was in AC last October--same name, different owners). He's passed away, as is his wife, who was my favorite aunt. Jeez, it must be close to 45 years old--I'm not getting rid of it.

Anything that makes me feel good when I look at it. Even if I NEVER wear it, if it makes me feel good when I notice it in the closet, it stays. For example, I have a black double-vested blazer with big silver buttons from the 90's that is cut too boxy and has too large shoulder pads. I haven't worn it in years, but it makes me feel good when I look at it--I always felt like a baller when I wore it in Vegas. It stays. I also enjoy the fact it still fits 22 years after I purchased it.

Tuxedo shirts--I think I have four or five, and I only wear a tux about two or three times a year--but I keep them all just in case.

Snow clothes. We might only go once to the snow every two years or so, but donating and buying them again seems like a waste of $$$.

We also attend a lot of costume events in the Los Angeles area and we now seem to have a large closet in the extra bedroom half-filled with costume pieces. We loan them out to friends, mix and match them to create new costumes, etc. Trying to get my wife to let go of even one of those things--jeez, you'd think I was trying to sell her wedding ring.

AND on top of all that--my wife owns at least 50 purses, handbags, etc. Those fill a storage unit I built in the other half of that extra closet. Good luck getting rid of any of those, even if she NEVER uses them.

Jeez--this is making me want to reorganize my closet again this weekend. Thanks. Not.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Annual closet clean-out anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Goodwill does
    Yup. Every year I donate to goodwill and write it off at reasonable goodwill prices, using their receipt and my photos and hand written notes as backup. My accountant assured me that we’d be fine if audited. You can use the goodwill value calculator for the values of donations.

https://www.amazinggoodwill.com/donating/IRS-guidelines

I also eBay some stuff but that can really try my patience...

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Anything that makes me feel good when I look at it. Even if I NEVER wear it, if it makes me feel good when I notice it in the closet, it stays.
    I like that sentiment. I think I unconsciously do that myself.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)
    I used to wear waistcoats a lot but I have around 5 odd waistcoats that have been unworn for perhaps 2 years. I still love 'em but I stopped wearing them when I stopped wearing ties. Most likely I will get rid of them but one versatile one.

I got a handful of idle ties but they don't take up much space at all so they stay.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)
    I'm pretty ruthless in my closet clean outs, as you've probably seen from my dozens of for sale ads on here... hah.

With that being said, for me, it's not about how long it's been since I've last used the item. It might sound cliche, but it comes down to three questions:

1. Do I need the item, or something similar to it?
    2. Do I truly enjoy the item?
    3. Does it bring increased efficiency to my life?

Ideally, I can answer yes to all three questions for most items I own. However, I need yes on 2/3 to keep something. If I answer yes to 0 or 1/3, the item will be sold, gifted to friends/family, or donated, depending on its value.