Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should a dress shirt cuff fit?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

How should a dress shirt cuff fit?

My go to dress shirt brand has two buttons on the cuffs, and the looser one is buttoned off the rack, and that is how I've always wore it without giving it too much thought.

However, I've been experimenting the tighter button, and it makes me wonder what is an ideal fit for a dress shirt cuff.

With looser button,
    - I can slide in four fingers with relative comfort while my wrist is in
    - Cuff slides over watch with arm down
    - Taking my hand in and out of cuff is easy
    - With arm down and middle finger bent inwards to touch the palm, the tip of my middle finger does touch the cuff

With tighter button,
    - I can slide in three fingers somewhat snugly
    - Cuff does not slide over watch with arm down
    - Taking my hand in and out of cuff is a bit tough, but doable
    - With arm down and middle finger bent inwards to touch the palm, the tip of my middle finger does not touch the cuff

Which do you think is a better fit?

Thank you!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    338 Post(s)
    I'd go with the looser button. Your cuff should slide over a thin dress watch with relative ease. I like my shirt cuffs to hit past my wrist bone and where my hand begins.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    A lot of times I use the 2nd button on nonwatch side and 1st button on watch side.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    A lot of times I use the 2nd button on nonwatch side and 1st button on watch side.
    this.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    I think the tighter cuff with inner button looks better without a watch. But because I always wear a watch, I always use the looser cuff with the outer button. Even with a watch as small and thin as a 38mm Hamilton Intramatic, I require the looser cuff with outer button to slide over the watch with significant force. With the looser cuff, it just requires a light tug if it doesn't naturally fall over the watch on its own.

Why do you care about ease of taking hand in and out of cuff? I do not button my cuffs until I put my shirt on, and I unbutton them when I remove my shirt. Keeps me from ripping the buttons off.

I hate the lack of symmetry. It feels very awkward, and it looks bad. Admittedly, most people would not notice this, but I notice it on other people and cannot feel comfortable doing it myself.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

I hate the lack of symmetry.
    Me, too. All my shirts got only one cuff button. It will accommodate a thin watch. Most of the time I have to pull down the cuff to cover the watch. So I think my shirt is closer to your second description.

All my shirts are MTM. I started with two button cuffs. Then I told my tailor to just place only one button in between inner and outer buttons.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    872 Post(s)
    It sounds like your sleeves might be too long. My sleeves stop at the end of my wrist and my middle finger has no chance of touching my shirt sleeve. As for tightness, I usually do the looser button for watch reasons.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    yep. i agree.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

I hate the lack of symmetry. It feels very awkward, and it looks bad. Admittedly, most people would not notice this, but I notice it on other people and cannot feel comfortable doing it myself.
    That's an easy fix, just take off the unused button so you are left with only the one that you fasten on each cuff. Personally I would prefer not to have the cuff getting stuck at my watch all the time as thats uncomfortable and the bunching is messy. There's an inherent lack of symmetry anyway if you wear a watch, but to each his own.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    It's not the button, it's the one cuff being noticeably smaller than the other, especially when contrasted with the opening of the jacket sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk