Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AE Daltons Leather Quality

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)

AE Daltons Leather Quality

Since dressing more intentionally, I have only purchased Cobbler Union dress shoes. I have a pair of their Renoir, Henry, William, and Barcelona shoes and love them all. If I could afford more right now, I would own at least two more pairs. I just got a pair of AE Daltons and when compared to the Cobbler Union shoes, the leather honestly feels like fake leather / plasticy. Since i am comparing an AE boot, i have to compare it to the Cobbler Union Renoir. They feel like they are on totally different levels of leather. I was floored as i know how highly well respected the AE shoes are. I know Cobbler Union is great. Maybe i just underestimated how great they are (and im one of their biggest fans)

Are the Daltons a lesser quality leather than their other dress shoes? Are Cobbler Union leathers on a whole different level than AE? Just specifically the Daltons?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    It looks like those CU models are made with museum calf leather, which in my experience is thinner and softer feeling when compared to box calf. It doesn't mean AE's leather is inferior, just processed differently. My Dalton boots have a stiffer leather than some of my other brands but I wouldn't say it's plasticky. That sounds more like a finishing issue than a leather one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    To echo what @Bruce Wayne said, my guess is that the leather difference is moreso due to different tanneries (CU probably sources museum calf from Ilcea, and I have no idea where AE sources their calf from) and less the actual leather quality.

I think saying that AE leather feels like fake leather is a bit of an exaggeration: I wouldn't even say my JCPs feel like fake leather much less my AEs. If you have a strong preference for CU over AE then you should continue buying CU since there's not that much of a price difference.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Give those AEs time to break in and conform to your feet, then tell me they feel like fake leather.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    thanks guys. I def didnt mean that as a diss to AE. I know that decades of compliments prove their products are of high quality. I appreciate the info on the different types of leathers which may lead to what i was trying to understand.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Cobbler Union makes some great looking shoes--at least they look great on the website. I'm glad to know that they live up to expectations in real life.

I love my AE shoes and I've discovered a couple other shoes that I like even better (Herring Premier and J Fitzpatrick). The leather is softer and the shoes are lighter. Also, the stitching and detailing seems neater. The AE shoes look chunkier and not as sleek. And way better than other shoes I've seen in the $200 to $300 price range, which is what you can almost always find them on sale for.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    The finish has flaked off my Dalton's at points. My only AE's to suffer this. Granted, I haven't been kind to them, but still.

:/

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1065 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    The finish has flaked off my Dalton's at points. My only AE's to suffer this. Granted, I haven't been kind to them, but still.

:/
    Which color do you have? Some colors have dyed leathers, others have a dyed base layer then burnishing. My memory thinks Bourbon and Oxblood are burnished and could flake whereas walnut, brown, chili, and black are dyed leathers and should not flake.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Which color do you have? Some colors have dyed leathers, others have a dyed base layer then burnishing. My memory thinks Bourbon and Oxblood are burnished and could flake whereas walnut, brown, chili, and black are dyed leathers and should not flake.
    Walnut. :/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Interesting. i just bought a pair of oxbloods. How do you go about preventing this?