Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Dress Shoes: Meermin or Jack Erwin?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks all for the advice!

To be clear, I have at least 5 pairs of different dress shoes (though none is the same quality as JE or Meermin). My only pair of "nice" dress shoes is a pair of AE Seconds Carlyles, and are frankly terrible (should have sent them back when I bought them). I do like the AE Hopkinson (have tried it on in person), just cannot afford to spend that much right now.

I appreciate all the continued feedback! It's definitely helpful, and sounds like I can't really go wrong either way

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    Brooks Brothers Park Avenues or 5th Avenues on sale for 269.

I'd get the Meermin over the JE.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    Unless you live in NYC so that you can go try on shoes at the Meermin store, buying from them is a bit of a gamble, doesn't matter how many Meermin sizing thread you've pored over.
    Ugh. That was my biggest frustration. Always being told that an 11E at Allen edmonds would be the same as a 10D at Meermin (because UK sizing). And getting them in the mail only to be so small that it felt like my toes were gonna break.

Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    Brooks Brothers Park Avenues or 5th Avenues on sale for 269.

I'd get the Meermin over the JE.
    Ever since the price hike, I don’t think they’ve gone down that low in years. Although factory seconds can be had for below $200 pretty often, and that’s how I picked up my black 5th Aves for $195

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
    Ugh. That was my biggest frustration. Always being told that an 11E at Allen edmonds would be the same as a 10D at Meermin (because UK sizing). And getting them in the mail only to be so small that it felt like my toes were gonna break.

I have the opposite problem, I'm an 11B, and they've told me to do with a 10D as well. Think I'd be alright given the difference in our widths? I've been wary of pulling the trigger.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    I have a pair of each and love them both. The Jacks are the Jasper oxfords in burgundy. Nice leather, good comfort, though their GYW is a bit thick in my opinion. If you're looking at one of their blake stitched models, that shouldn't be a problem.

The Meermin I have are a pair of pebble grain longwing bluchers. They are possibly my favorite shoe right now. I hear a lot about how Meermin are tough to break in, but I had zero discomfort with them. I did have the chance to try a few pair on in their NYC store, so maybe that helped. I found that in their Rui last (the bluchers), I wear 8.5uk and in their Hiro and Rois lasts, a 9uk is more comfortable. I like them so much, I am itching to buy another pair, but I can't quite justify it.

As for pricing, Meermin will be more expensive after VAT is added. Jack Erwin will be a straight $195. Meermin will end between $210 and $220. The pair I bought in store were $212 after taxes, etc. Still, my vote is Meermin.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    I have a pair of each and love them both. The Jacks are the Jasper oxfords in burgundy. Nice leather, good comfort, though their GYW is a bit thick in my opinion. If you're looking at one of their blake stitched models, that shouldn't be a problem.

The Meermin I have are a pair of pebble grain longwing bluchers. They are possibly my favorite shoe right now. I hear a lot about how Meermin are tough to break in, but I had zero discomfort with them. I did have the chance to try a few pair on in their NYC store, so maybe that helped. I found that in their Rui last (the bluchers), I wear 8.5uk and in their Hiro and Rois lasts, a 9uk is more comfortable. I like them so much, I am itching to buy another pair, but I can't quite justify it.

As for pricing, Meermin will be more expensive after VAT is added. Jack Erwin will be a straight $195. Meermin will end between $210 and $220. The pair I bought in store were $212 after taxes, etc. Still, my vote is Meermin.
    VAT isn't charged to non-EU customers, shipping IS charged and that's what brings the price to $210.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    To the OP, Meermin seconds are sold on ebay at auction and usually go for a pretty good discount over first quality pricing. Sometimes enthusiastic bidders take the price to where you would be better off buying firsts but normally they go for $125 or less.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Neither. Becket and Simonon, provided you have an average width foot and don't mind waiting a couple months. The leather is at least as good, out of the box comfort is great, and QC is pretty good. You get 20% off or so if it's your first purchase, putting you at $150-160 for a pair.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    FWIW: if you're willing to wiggle your budget a little, if you're willing to look outside JE/Meermin, and if you're willing to play the seconds game, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to Fifth Avenues seconds from Allen Edmonds through shoebank.com. I think it's a significant value increase from JE/Meermin for a relatively small price bump.