Thread: Nice-ish summer shirts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Nice-ish summer shirts

Went on a date night with my wife and a few other couples went on a date night over the weekend. It was 95 degrees which limits what I really want to wear. I didn't have much that I wanted to wear, so I realized I need more 'date night' options for the summer. I'd like something nice-ish but also realize, with kids, we aren't able to do a lot of date nights, and summer is only so long. That's always caused me to lean on getting more long sleeve 'date night' shirts since I can, in theory, wear them almost year round. But... I would like some hot weather shirts.

I am a pretty big Bonobos fan but haven't had much luck with short sleeve button downs (and I've cooled on the brand a bit lately for whatever reason). They have good standard polos, but I'd something a little more interesting. Bonobos has decent prices, but I feel like their quality has gone down, and the items need to be on a good sale to be considered 'decently priced'.

Having bought some Orlebar Brown swim trunks last year, I've looked at their shirts online and some are pretty cool, but very pricey. I also don't have any stores locally that sell the brand, and I'm guessing it is definitely a brand that I would need to try on for sizing (but also styling - could see the shirts looking much different in person and/or on).

What brands are other people looking at/getting?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I have the same challenge. When I have evening summer events like theater or going to a party at a friends place, I donít gave a lot of good options.

For short sleeve, there are some decent short sleeve camp shirt options at Old Navy I think. I want to go a little more dressy - so Iím thinking about getting a long sleeve madras plaid shirt made from Proper Cloth. Iím also eying a pretty sedate blue on blue palm tree print for one fun shirt.

Like you said though the season is short and especially with custom they will take a while to come back. Iím taller and bigger guy and chasing after a two year old all the time and would love some summer shirts that will always stay tucked in - and I pretty much can only get that in custom shirts.

I think Iíd like one or two grails go-to shirts instead of a bunch of stuff that doesnít really fit the bill.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    - Loose fitting linen button ups (Uniqlo or JCF have some decent ones. )
    - Knit polos in solid colors (Again, Uniqlo has some good ones)

EDIT: There have been a number of articles lately on "knit" polos. They fit a bit differently than regular polos because the material feels more like a thin sweater and they are gathered at the bottom. Because of those things, they manage to look more dressed up than a typical polo, while still being breezy enough to be comfortable. I bought three of them from Uniqlo in black, navy and white.

Last edited by TMann; June 24th, 2018 at 03:27 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Pick up a Spier & Mackay button down polo and throw a linen sport coat over it for date night. I picked up 2 to try this summer in place of a button down, with the sleeves rolled up, for work. My wife commented that it was a very nice polo. She very rarely compliments my clothes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    I know that you were asking about shirts in this thread...but one thing that has helped my summer wardrobe immensely has been getting the pants and shoe combination fixed as well. Most of my chinos are thick, heavy cotton twill. I love the feel of the material, but they're pretty warm in the summer time.

I recently bought some lighter weight chinos from Gap and I've figured out a shoe combination that I can wear without socks. Those two changes have made a huge difference in my comfort level in the warmer months.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Linen will be your friend. I wore some on a cruise a few weeks ago and it was glorious. That was the first time i wore it when i knew it was going to be unbearable.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Two more options if you're interesting/willing to be a little more bold with color / pattern... First up, a Reyn Spooner popover with the ultimate classic Lahaina pattern:

https://www.reynspooner.com/products...=1336291590163

They're actually low-key (for Hawaiian shirts)

Second up: a Madras shirt. The cloth is lightweight and made for hot weather. If you're up for going with a patterned shirt, there are a ton of patterns out there from super bright, crazy patchwork shirts to low-key subtle washed choices. Here's an example from Guideboat

https://www.guideboat.com/men-s-indi...shirts-11.html

I find both types of shirts to be comfortable in the heat as long as the fit has a little room...

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)
    Linen is fantastic--super breezy, but does wrinkle really easily if not blended with cotton. I actually found a nice peach-colored linen/cotton shirt on Amazon of all places for about 20 bucks. Got it the same day and urrthang. Goes great untucked with some shorts, sleeves rolled. Works under an unlined/unstructured blazer too.

Seersucker is fxing unbelievable as well ("fxing" clearly isn't a word, but I'm several beers in and trying to stay somewhat decorum-ish). ON and JCF both have nice inexpensive seersucker options right now.

Hell JCF even has short-sleeve linen options right now. Might could work swimmingly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I just picked up a couple of Criquet polos. One regular Player and one stretch Player. I'm super happy with them. Fabric is lighter than my Spier & Mackay polos and I'm partial to the collar stays in the Criquet shirt. The Spier & Mackay is a fantastic polo, but the Criquet is just more "me".