Thread: light rain jacket suggestions?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    890 Post(s)

light rain jacket suggestions?

I don't need a rubber fisherman jacket, just something light that will keep the rain off if I get stuck walking in a little rain or have to change a tire or whatever and maybe cut some of the wind. All I usually find around me is REI level stuff (I think that is overkill for me) or walmart stuff that fits like a trash bag. Anybody found something that would fit a slimmer fellow without being a balloon? I am 5'11" and about 155.

Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1763 Post(s)
    If you are ok with the technical look, I would recommend the Patagonia Houdini jacket. Not super expensive, extremely light (packs into its own chest pocket), reasonably water- and windproof, though definitely not something you'd want to rely on in a severe downpour for more than a few minutes. Quite a slim fit, to the point that I actually had to size up, which is fairly rare for me particularly in outdoors-oriented outerwear. I got mine in a dark, not-quite-navy blue (Dolomite blue) which seems to go with just about everything.

A possible downside is they are designed to be extremely streamlined and packable so there are no standard pockets at the waist, just a single Napoleon-style chest pocket.

Alternatively, the Patagonia Torrentshell is about $20 more expensive and a bit more substantial (feels more like a true rain jacket, whereas the Houdini definitely feels more like a windbreaker) without feeling like you're wearing a suit of armor. I've had one of those for the past 7-8 years or so and it's held up reasonably well. And it has pockets.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; June 12th, 2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Ben

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1064 Post(s)
    I have a mac jacket from Old Navy that would fit your requirement. Stylish. Cheap. Works to keep the rain off. Might be worth checking out. Cheers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    i have been wanting something just like this for a bit. Im here for all the recommendations and have nothing to add lol.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Search Eddie Bauer packable jacket or Uniqlo pocketable parka

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    890 Post(s)
    cool, good stuff to look at, thanks

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    Saw these jackets from Baro, a Canadian company, on Huckberry a little while back and eventually pulled the trigger during a sale from their own site. Just got back from a very rainy few days in Seattle and the thing was money. I've worn it with a suit, and jeans and boots or whatever and I love its versatility. Doesn't pack into its own pocket or anything (for that I'd recommend the Outdoor Research Foray Gore-Tex Paclite) but it folds into a fairly compact package, much more so than a regular mac or trench. Highly recommended.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Doctor View Post
    Saw these jackets from Baro, a Canadian company, on Huckberry a little while back and eventually pulled the trigger during a sale from their own site. Just got back from a very rainy few days in Seattle and the thing was money. I've worn it with a suit, and jeans and boots or whatever and I love its versatility. Doesn't pack into its own pocket or anything (for that I'd recommend the Outdoor Research Foray Gore-Tex Paclite) but it folds into a fairly compact package, much more so than a regular mac or trench. Highly recommended.
    How would you rate the breathability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk