Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actually comfortable dress shoes - not just comfortable for a dress shoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Actually comfortable dress shoes - not just comfortable for a dress shoe

Hey,

I know this is a little different of a post but would appreciate any suggestions on this. My uncle is a pretty stylish guy, suit and tie to work most days. The past few years he has had some medical issues which one of the side effects is pain in his feet. He is ridiculously strong and doesn't want this to slow him down at all, so he still trudges to work regardless of pain in his feet. I know it's more accepted to wear sneakers on the commute but he wouldn't accept this.

Has anyone ventured into stylish (even moderately so) dress shoes that are still comfortable? Any help would be much appreciated!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    872 Post(s)
    Allen Edmonds Road Warriors line is supposed to be comfortable for commutes. They are having a big sale on that particular category for Father's Day so worth a look to save some money.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)
    One other suggestion is to get custom orthotics made for his dress shoes. They should cushion and provide better support for his shoes. You can try in the interim superfeet.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    537 Post(s)
    i could walk many many miles in my leather sole AE's.

best fitting shoes i've ever worn ever. they're amazing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    One other suggestion is to get custom orthotics made for his dress shoes. They should cushion and provide better support for his shoes. You can try in the interim superfeet.
    FWIW, I've tried Superfeet and they caused more discomfort for me than they solved. These Spenco inserts, on the other hand, have been incredible. Much more supportive, much more cushion. YMMV, but wanted to throw out the alternative.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    You can read my comments about Wolf & Shepard shoes at the link below.

They are supremely comfortable right from the box--even for my old beat up feet. They have great customer service. That said, I am not happy with the quality of the workmanship, leather, and detailing for the prices they charge. The quality, however, is better than any shoes you're going to find in in the under $200 range.

That said, they are so much more comfortable than any dress shoe I've ever worn, straight out of the box. AND they don't have funky looking soles or anything like that.

So, it's really a trade off.

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...l=1#post292837

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Allen Edmonds Road Warriors line is supposed to be comfortable for commutes. They are having a big sale on that particular category for Father's Day so worth a look to save some money.
    Yes--a heck of a sale with many of them marked down to $162--I wonder if anyone around here has experience with that line? I'm interested to know.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...sz=52&start=12

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...sz=52&start=13

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    I bought a pair of LGA Wingtip Oxford. I got rid of it because it's an eye sore when I put it on--looked ugly to me, couldn't stand it. It's been awhile but I don't believe I had any complaints regarding its comfort. Felt like a pair of sneakers/running shoes.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    I bought a pair of LGA Wingtip Oxford. I got rid of it because it's an eye sore when I put it on--looked ugly to me, couldn't stand it. It's been awhile but I don't believe I had any complaints regarding its comfort. Felt like a pair of sneakers/running shoes.
    The photos on the AE website make it look like a normal shoe--what looks bad?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    271 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    The photos on the AE website make it look like a normal shoe--what looks bad?
    They don't look awful in the store, but they do look cheaper and clunkier than the standard lineup. The toe box seem a bit higher and boxier than on other lasts. And the leather seems cheaper, although I doubt you'd see much difference after they've worn in and gotten scuffed up a bit.

For what it's worth, I'm considering picking up a pair during the current sale.