Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who doesnt understand Clarks Desert Boots?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    In honor of this thread and me insulting them, I dug out my beeswax bushacres. At least as terrible as I remember. Footbed is really hard, leather is really hard. The suede CDB and rust leather CDB I have are far more comfortable.

I'm going to drop these by the salvation army tomorrow. I have no desire to wear them again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    In honor of this thread and me insulting them, I dug out my beeswax bushacres. At least as terrible as I remember. Footbed is really hard, leather is really hard. The suede CDB and rust leather CDB I have are far more comfortable.

I'm going to drop these by the salvation army tomorrow. I have no desire to wear them again.
    Take a fit pic for a last hurrah

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I don't understand the love for these shoes at all.

They're blobby, make my feet look like Donald Duck and, look like something every frat guy in the SEC slaps on to get dressed up.

Help me out. What am I missing?
    Funny... I like the way they look, and I get complements... but I find them horribly uncomfortable. Ill walk miles and miles in sneakers, or Alden Indys; but something about the flat CDB footbed, zero ankle support, and bouncy but not cushiony crepe sole just tires my feet out - fast. I have other chukkas that are goodyear welted and much more comfortable. Go figure...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I dont like them either. I am not a fan of those crepe soles.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    another vote for not a fan. I think they look cheap and have a weak look to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I do like suede desert boots, just not the styling on the Clarks version.

In the past I have had a couple of pairs of Roamers 5 eye desert boots which I find a better looking boot, although possibly not the same quality.

http://www.armynavystores.co.uk/foot...ert-boots-p488

Roamers do several different styles, but I favour the slightly taller 5 eyelet version. They do one with a crepe sole and one with a lug sole. I have used the later for a plains game hunt in South Africa after my more expensive "hunting boots" turned into a foot nightmare...

The Roamers are a cheap boot and they only tend to last a couple or three years, but for knocking about/casual use I find them hard to beat.

The one down side to them (possibly most boots with similar crepe soles) is that if used around town a lot, the sole soon wears smooth on concrete and then become a slip liability on smooth wet surfaces such as rain splashed tiled or polished granite walk ways ect...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I think they're a fine casual shoe but, like sperry boat shoes, they're probably just overhyped by the "just got out of college" crowd. I always liked the look of mine but my feet couldn't take the pounding the lack of structure gave them so i gave mine away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emynd View Post
    I saw those and am pained to admit they really appeal to me. I love the unstructured aesthetic and wearability of desert boots, but usually hate the toe shape (Clarks, et al) Drakes nailed it with their design here, but the price is a little high.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Those Drake's look exactly like J.Crew Macalisters. I would bet money they are the same boot, in which case $445 is ridiculous.