Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who doesnt understand Clarks Desert Boots?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)

Am I the only one who doesnt understand Clarks Desert Boots?

I don't understand the love for these shoes at all.

They're blobby, make my feet look like Donald Duck and, look like something every frat guy in the SEC slaps on to get dressed up.

Help me out. What am I missing?
    Dont call what your wearing an outfit. Dont ever say your car is broke.
    Dont sing with a fake British accent. Dont act like your familys a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    I'm not a fan either.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    When we go on a vacation, sometimes we'll walk six or seven miles in a day around a city we're exploring, so I like my Clark's boots for urban hiking/walking--I only wear them with jeans--very comfortable for that limited purpose. And they aren't those ugly (in my opinion) crepe soled things. They are gray leather uppers with rubber soles. I purchased them less than a year ago, but they seem to be discontinued now.

Okay, so I didn't really answer your question.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)
    CDB for the winter, Sperry's for the summer. Did you not get the Dappered memo? We fax those to all new members.

In the same vain, I really want a pair of Clark Wallabee Lo's which ain't pretty either.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    573 Post(s)
    The boots have an interesting history, which is basically that they were old off-duty army boots or officers in egypt blah blah something something...

https://bespokeunit.com/shoes/styles/desert-boots/

The crepe sole is super comfortable to walk, and lounge around in, despite not having the ability to go many miles walking.

I think they have a tiny bit of legitimate trad cred, and a very attractive sillouette. Never pulled the trigger on a pair for myself though. I think suede (and frankly the crepe sole as well) doesn't suit my weekend hobbies, which are all pretty greasy and dirty.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    I've been told how comfortable they are, but I've also been told quality is way down these days. For me, I think the toe is much too wide to look good and I don't like crepe soles.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    I've tried them on multiple times to convince myself they actually look good and are comfortable. They just aren't. I ended up with J.Crew Macalisters in both suede and pebble grain. Much more comfortable, better toe shape, and made in Italy. I'm pretty sure they are made by Astorflex since they look exactly like their Driftflex model.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    never been a fan.

for suede chukka duty, i have massdrops.

for *LOTS* of walking, i'm likely doing the tourist thing, so i throw on regular shorts or jeans and my running shoes like any other tourist. #grayman

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    I've also been known to use my strandmoks for moderate walking and wanting to look a bit better than tommy the tourist.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I don't understand the love for these shoes at all.

They're blobby, make my feet look like Donald Duck and, look like something every frat guy in the SEC slaps on to get dressed up.

Help me out. What am I missing?
    I'm taking your "What am I missing?" at face value and assuming you're genuinely interested in what you're missing: for me, they're the most versatile shoe I own. I have the dark brown suede Bushacre Chukkas that I bought from Nordstrom for $40 (come to think of it, maybe they aren't exactly the same as CDB? Not sure) and I can wear them with jeans, sport coats w/ odd trousers, and even casual suits. They're unlined and floppy and light, which makes them very easy to travel with, and, of course, crepe soles make them significantly more practical for walking long distances. You can make the argument that a more refined and shapely chukka would also serve this purpose, and I do have a pair of those (a Meermin pair that I love as well), but I find myself reaching for the Clarks more simply because they're less fussy, more floppy, and more comfortable. Also, they're cheap!

I often wear them in similar outfits to these (I'm aware the first two pair of shoes here *ARENT* Clarks)