Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who doesnt understand Clarks Desert Boots?

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1805 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusM View Post
    Are any of those boots Clarks? Because they look too trim to be CDBs, which--consistent with others' opinions here--I've found to be bulbous and clowny in the toebox. I'm all-in for chukkas as a general matter, but Clarks/desert boots are a "never" for me.
    The bottom two absolutely look like CDB to me....
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Its interesting to me how many people are in the ambivalent to nope range on these despite them being frequent #menswear staples.

Glad Im not alone.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emynd View Post
    i often wear them in similar outfits to these (I'm aware the first two pair of shoes here *ARENT* Clarks)
    I dig the first two...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    The bottom two absolutely look like CDB to me....
    Oh yeah, I guess I can see the bulbousness in the last pic. But I guess that means black suede with matching sole does help them look trimmer.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    I have a pair of bushacre 2s in leather and suede. I am not a huge fan of the leather pair but the suede gets a lot of use. I think they are great for casual looks and since they cost me like 40 bucks a pair, I have no problem beating them up. So not my favorite shoes by any means, but they have their place in my rotation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    They were one of my first pickups after finding Dappered and I wore them constantly in casual settings, but now that I have the Massdrop AEs and a chukka from SS that are far more sleek I can't remember the last time I pulled the CDB out. Just looking down at them now they look so boxy and wide in comparison.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    To OP - do you not like desert boots and chukkas in general?

Clark's Desert Boots, like any desert boots, are a casual shoe (it's hard to call a chukka a boot, it's really just a high top shoe). They look great with casual outfits, infinitely better than the dad sneakers I see so many men my age wearing, and more age appropriate than wearing more stylish sneakers like chucks or that jcrew pair that reddit loves.

Back when it was easy to find them for $40-70 online, they were rightfully a great budget go to desert boot. I own multiple pairs purchased during that time. However, with their current price seemingly being double that range, they aren't worth it, because at that price there are nicer desert boot options - my Astor Greenflex's are higher quality all around and are the most comfortable footwear I own.

Blobby? That's why they're casual shoes. They aren't sleek and narrow, because they're built for comfort.

Random comment: the one thing I do not get is the love for the beeswax models. Those just look bad to me. They always looks dusty and old, not worn-in in a good way. Just my opinion.

Oh and for the love of God don't buy the bushacres. A desert boot needs a crepe sole, period, imo.

I actually do own a pair of bushacres in beeswax, size 10. My first purchase long ago, and I hate them. Need to donate them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    To OP - do you not like desert boots and chukkas in general?
    I do. I just dont understand the fascination with these clown shoe versions; hell the Target Goodfellow chukka had a better shape.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I do. I just dont understand the fascination with these clown shoe versions; hell the Target Goodfellow chukka had a better shape.
    I just don't see their shape as being anywhere as objectionable as you see it. I suspect you have a severe dislike for any footwear item that isn't quite sleek in shape.

Agree to disagree I guess, good sir.

Although I do agree that the Goodfellow line has multiple decent looking pairs of shoes. The man needing shoes on a shoe string budget could do a hell of a lot worse. I actually considered buying a pair of their boat shoes once, as a beater pair.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    I had a beeswax pair that I wore into the ground. Like others have already said, they were one of my entry points into dressing better. I ended up "upgrading" to a pair of Redwing weekender chukkas at some point last year that haven't gotten worn nearly as much as the Clarks used to. My clothes do trend a bit more casual than a lot in the Dappered community (I always like saying that as a disclaimer), but CDBs just kind of hit a sweet spot for me. They are a little bulbous looking from the top, but I don't really want all my shoes to be super sleek and streamlined looking. Also I just think they have a really nice looking profile. I don't know, I may or may not ever buy another pair, but I still appreciate them, especially for the cost.