Thread: In Memoriam $60 Cole Haan Chukkas

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

In Memoriam $60 Cole Haan Chukkas

In November of 2010 I was a young, broke soon-to-be dad finishing up his J.D. while working full time. I was coming up on my second winter in Cleveland, having moved from the south, and hated every moment of October through May the previous year. I had a pair of ugly chunky snow boots, but I didn't have anything that I actually liked that I could wear in the rain and muck. I found myself in the clearance section of a Nordstrom Rack during a "Clear the rack" event, something I had learned about from my wife. I find these double clearance, made in china, british tan, pebble-grained, Nike air soled, allegedly waterproof Cole Haan chukkas that my wife assured me "should be fine for a couple of years."

Here we are, seven and a half years and countless miles later and I'm saying goodbye to my trusty every day beater chukkas. These bad boys treated me to almost 5 solid years of Cleveland weather. Sidewalk salts long ago devoured the pebbling on the toes and dulled the color on the boots, but that didn't stop me from dragging them 2300 miles to SoCal three years ago. Summer in LA, Fall in Georgia, Winter in Cleveland, Spring in London - they've never given me a blister, let in a drop of water, or disappointed when paired with jeans.

Today I took a final loop around the neighborhood in them before taking this glamour shot.

Good night, sweet prince(s).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Man, I had the SAME pair and I absolutely wore them to death. I paid closer to retail and they were still worth it. Most complements I have ever gotten with a shoe and, more importantly, comfortable and looked better with age. Put my down about a year ago. RIP.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chicubs1908 View Post
    Man, I had the SAME pair and I absolutely wore them to death. I paid closer to retail and they were still worth it. Most complements I have ever gotten with a shoe and, more importantly, comfortable and looked better with age. Put my down about a year ago. RIP.
    Nice, I was always getting compliments too. They were just so effortless. At a certain point I started treating them with black meltonian shoe cream which made the color even richer. I'm always looking into nicer shoes, but it's crazy how much I enjoyed these really basic, cheap boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Thoughts and prayers with you in this troubling time.