Thread: Brooks Brothers Briefcase question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brooks Brothers Briefcase question

Hey, long time lurker, first post.
    I recently ordered a briefcase from Brooks Brothers, as per Joe's recommendation on the main site (it was a $650 briefcase for under 200, in the memorial day weekend). To digress for a minute, they actually ran out of the one I ordered, and their amazing customer service was able to give me the newer version of the briefcase, which is not on clearance, and is currently selling for $750. (link: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/dem...SIZE&cgid=0469 )
    My question is as follows: The country of origin isn't listed, and the inside of it just says "genuine leather"- it doesn't even mention that it's buffalo, which is what it says on their website. The texture of the leather feels ok, albeit a bit stiffer than I'd have expected. What do you guys think? Is it a keeper? Will it last me a year? 2? 5? Should the lack of details make me nervous?
    PS- My work environment is pretty dressy, so no advice to get a Filson, please!
    Thanks in advance!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)
    Hard to tell from just your initial questions without pictures etc. Do you think they sent you the wrong one or do you think they weren't accurate in their description? Most leather bags need to be broken in. I would want to put that age and character into my bag instead of it being supple etc. from day 1 and further breaking down.

To be fair if it was someone else besides a big brand like BB then I might have some concern but they would be in a ton of trouble for inaccurate descriptions on their website (aka selling you a cow leather bag but saying it's buffalo).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just thought I'd give a 2 week update, in case this helps anyone down the line. Decided to tentatively keep it, and so far the leather is breaking in nicely. A lot of the stiffness that scared me in the beginning has gone away. I've used my fair share of cheap leather, and I know what cheap leather feels like after 2 weeks, and this feels far less plastic-y. It seems to be breaking in nicely. I have not been able to speak the language of the leather to ask it whether it came from a buffalo or a cow, but alas, as hockeysc23 said, BB is a big company that stands to lose by lying to their customers. Hope to update down the line if there are any changes, but so far, I'd say that it's worth the sale price (Which for me was 200. I'm still not sure about a sale price of 500.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    It's nice. Carry it with confidence.