Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charles Tyrwhit Elbow rips

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

Charles Tyrwhit Elbow rips

So Iíve got about 5 CT shirts that I bought about a year ago. They are all the non-iron twill fabric. Two of them have ripped in the elbows. I havenít noticed this with my BB shirts. I sit at a desk all day and probably unconsciously put my elbows on the desk without realizing. A few of questions:

1. Can the elbows be fixed/patched?
    2. Has anyone else had this experience with CT shirts? Is it a known problem with this brand or is it just a general problem with dress shirts?
    3. Would upgrading to a higher quality brand help? Or is it that I just need to make a conscious effort to not put my elbows on the desk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I have the same issue with CT, BB, JCrew...you name it. My wife makes fun of me and says I have knives for elbows. As to fixing the elbows, I asked my do-it-all tailor a couple of weeks ago and she told me it would not look good. How bad are the rips on your shirts? I have no idea re: upgrading to a higher quality.

I sit at a desk all day as well and I try to be more conscious about my elbows on the desk but undoubtedly placing them there happens.

If you come up with a solution, I would be glad to hear it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I've had CT, TMLewin, JCrew, Bonobos, Kamakura, Marine Layer, Wings + Horns, Ministry of Supply all ripped at one point or another. I really need to learn to roll up my sleeves while at work (although that is why I chose to wear a polo as long as possible when in season). I keep some of the ones I like for when I know I will be wearing a blazer/sweater. I did try patching one, but it wasn't worth it and opened up again shortly after.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Pat View Post
    I've had CT, TMLewin, JCrew, Bonobos, Kamakura, Marine Layer, Wings + Horns, Ministry of Supply all ripped at one point or another.
    Bro, you've been working out?!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    If the shirts in question are no iron, all cotton shirts, that might be part of the problem. The process to make all cotton, or mostly cotton fabric, non iron, includes adding formaldehyde to the shirt, causing the fabric to wear out faster. I can't vouch for it being specific to a brand, i.e. CT, but it is common with no iron shirts. The formaldehyde stiffens the shirt, and contributes to blown out elbows specifically.

I have recently been excavating my closet, and recycling, reusing or repurposing my old shirts. The "hand" of my decades old cotton shirts is amazingly soft and there are little or minimal spots where the fabric has worn through, or torn. In many cases I've simply gained a few pounds over a few decades and the old shirts no longer fit well. I've mentioned before, that some have become toss pillows, because of fit issues, and the pillows are luxurious to the touch. My Polo blue OCBD shirt from the mid-80's has an oxford cloth that would probably be sold as pinpoint oxford today, at an unattainable price. Other of my old shirts were a bit more generous in their cut, and still fit well enough for me to rock a vintage look.

The problem is now finding an all cotton shirt that isn't treated in such a way, and investing the time and knowledge it takes to heat up the Rowenta, avoid the starch, and give that shirt a crisp press the night before. I see a lot of people on the board extolling the virtue of a good shoe shine, maybe we need to raise ironing to the same level.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixmeister View Post
    I see a lot of people on the board extolling the virtue of a good shoe shine, maybe we need to raise ironing to the same level.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

I like to press a shirt and let it sit for at least 24 hours. I have a pressurized spray bottle for misting water. I use distilled water only. I have an upright steamer that I steam shirts with after they've been worn; it freshens them up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    I have a Nordstrom smartcare shirt that recently did the same. Bummer, as I really liked the shirt, though it certainly was not one of my 'heavy rotation' shirts.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    I'm always fascinated by this, as I've been at a desk job for over 10 years, often working very long hours, and I've never had an elbow blow out. I do throw out shirts that are getting yellowed or otherwise getting ratty, so maybe I just keep the rotation fresh enough, but it seems to me that that can't seem to be the entire story as I've kept shirts around for years. For what it's worth, I got rid of all my non-iron shirts years ago; get my shirts pressed (too lazy to iron / too small of an apt to have a full ironing board).

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2099 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I'm always fascinated by this, as I've been at a desk job for over 10 years, often working very long hours, and I've never had an elbow blow out. I do throw out shirts that are getting yellowed or otherwise getting ratty, so maybe I just keep the rotation fresh enough, but it seems to me that that can't seem to be the entire story as I've kept shirts around for years. For what it's worth, I got rid of all my non-iron shirts years ago; get my shirts pressed (too lazy to iron / too small of an apt to have a full ironing board).
    Same, never had an elbow rip. Usually my shirts first show their age fraying at the cuffs or occasionally at the fold of the collar.

But these days I get my shirts almost exclusively from Spier & Mackay, so they are all untreated cotton.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)
    I have had all sorts of shirts and never had an elbow blow out. I have read it can be because the shirt sleeve is too tight and thus stretches the fabric in addition to you rubbing it on the table.

Also I have my shirts laundered and get starch which has not caused pre-mature wear.