Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bespoke Suits In 2018

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    I mean: you do you, but "I'm just now leaving the military to finish my undergrad, I want a good suit for internships" doesn't sound like a strong justifying circumstance for dropping $2k on the small, diminishing-returns-impacted jump from a MTM or high-quality, good-fitting OTR to full bespoke. YMMV, and more power to you if it works for you, but that's a high price for marginal improvement.
    Shhh . . . let's not get vulgar and talk about money.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    77Pat, thank you for sharing this diamond with me. The tailor puts a lot of passion in his work, and it looks flawless. Have you purchased any suits, shirts or etc. from this shop?
    I have not, I have more of a Suit Supply budget.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Pat View Post
    I have not, I have more of a Suit Supply budget.
    I have heard mixed reviews about Suit Supply. How have your experiences been?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I live in the Philly suburbs and I’ve had work done at both Capelli and D&B and I much prefer John Capelli. I’ve only had alterations done on suits but John Capelli is my preferred of the two.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erock View Post
    I live in the Philly suburbs and I’ve had work done at both Capelli and D&B and I much prefer John Capelli. I’ve only had alterations done on suits but John Capelli is my preferred of the two.
    Erock, thank you for your response. If I decide to go to school in Pennsylvania, I will visit both tailors. Did you see any bespoke work by Capelli or D&B when you visited?

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    416 Post(s)
    If you don't mind the jaunt into NYC to be measured in-studio, I've personally done work with Black Lapel (MTM) and have been absolutely delighted. You can get a 3-piece suit with 2 sets of trousers for well under $1000, and the quality is excellent. I'd wager 3-4 suits from them would last longer (and provide far more versatility/variety) than a single bespoke from anyone. Granted I'm on an E-6 budget at the moment, so MTM is far less frowned-upon by the missus and easier to pass. I'm in the Baltimore area but travel to NYC/Philly a few times each year when I'm not TDY.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    If you don't mind the jaunt into NYC to be measured in-studio, I've personally done work with Black Lapel (MTM) and have been absolutely delighted. You can get a 3-piece suit with 2 sets of trousers for well under $1000, and the quality is excellent. I'd wager 3-4 suits from them would last longer (and provide far more versatility/variety) than a single bespoke from anyone. Granted I'm on an E-6 budget at the moment, so MTM is far less frowned-upon by the missus and easier to pass. I'm in the Baltimore area but travel to NYC/Philly a few times each year when I'm not TDY.

Interesting! I'm an E-5 (single!). I have 3 suits (grey, black 3-piece, navy) currently and this would just be my special suit for special occasions. That is interesting but I am not sure if the travel is worth it. In addition, I would not wear a suit to class unless I was doing a presentation. Therefore, I am thinking one solid suit would do me justice.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    If money is no object, have at it. But... military or not, your (assumed) young age is working against you, as your body is going to change in the next decade or so to where any bespoke suit you buy today isn't going to fit properly in short order. I'd spend the coin in other places, but do what makes you happy.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    416 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Interesting! I'm an E-5 (single!). I have 3 suits (grey, black 3-piece, navy) currently and this would just be my special suit for special occasions. That is interesting but I am not sure if the travel is worth it. In addition, I would not wear a suit to class unless I was doing a presentation. Therefore, I am thinking one solid suit would do me justice.
    Then I'd say go with BL's MTM on as fancy as you wanna get. You could go with their Savoy line and be extra all you want, as well, and still spend about half (assuming 3-piece and extra trousers) what a ground-level bespoke would START at.

Especially at E-5, I would recommend this option first, and if you find yourself suiting often, THEN make the jump into full bespoke.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)
    Just some life advice to take as you want and apply as fits. But take that almost 2-3k and invest in a certification. Given your base background you have the start of a great resume at least in the federal consulting world. Being military plus a PMP, CGFM etc would help you be able to earn several times your salary currently. You’d have a ward robe of bespoke suits once you finish your under grad and get a few years experience.

That will get you farther in an internship and job then a bespoke suit ever will. If the advice doesn’t apply or fit my apologies and best of luck in your undergrad. Signed someone that wish he did that sooner.