Thread: Suit Advice Needed - Best Off-the-Rack Suit Brands to Look For

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Suit Advice Needed - Best Off-the-Rack Suit Brands to Look For

Hey everyone,

I need some help with a game plan for two upcoming weddings. Here's the skinny:

I live in the Nashville area where it's consistently pretty warm. I'm lucky enough to work in a place that doesn't require me to wear suits. I have plenty of dress pants, shirts, and sport coats, but I don't wear them very often. Therefore, the only suit I own is the one I wore to my wedding (and now wear as separates).

Living in Nashville - as I'm sure many of you other southerners are aware - most weddings I go to I can get by with my pants/sport coat look since they're almost always in a barn somewhere. However, the next two weddings I will be attending just so happen to be from massively wealthy families and are, therefore, much more fancy.

Because I don't often have a need to wear suits, I'm looking for something cheaper to buy during some Memorial Day sales that I can get OTR and then take to my local tailor to get the fit right. BUT, I figure I may as well buy something that isn't total shit that can at least last a while. What should I look for? I'm ideally hoping for two suits in the 200 - 300 range, or less (each). What brands/other things should I look for? Any recommendations? I'm thinking Charcoal and Navy?

Note: I'm very slim. I wouldn't even call myself "athletic" anymore, since I haven't lifted weights in quite some time. I'm 6'1 and 145 pounds. Don't usually wear "skinny" fit, but definitely always slim.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _dap View Post
    Hey everyone,

I need some help with a game plan for two upcoming weddings. Here's the skinny:

I live in the Nashville area where it's consistently pretty warm. I'm lucky enough to work in a place that doesn't require me to wear suits. I have plenty of dress pants, shirts, and sport coats, but I don't wear them very often. Therefore, the only suit I own is the one I wore to my wedding (and now wear as separates).

Living in Nashville - as I'm sure many of you other southerners are aware - most weddings I go to I can get by with my pants/sport coat look since they're almost always in a barn somewhere. However, the next two weddings I will be attending just so happen to be from massively wealthy families and are, therefore, much more fancy.

Because I don't often have a need to wear suits, I'm looking for something cheaper to buy during some Memorial Day sales that I can get OTR and then take to my local tailor to get the fit right. BUT, I figure I may as well buy something that isn't total shit that can at least last a while. What should I look for? I'm ideally hoping for two suits in the 200 - 300 range, or less (each). What brands/other things should I look for? Any recommendations? I'm thinking Charcoal and Navy?

Note: I'm very slim. I wouldn't even call myself "athletic" anymore, since I haven't lifted weights in quite some time. I'm 6'1 and 145 pounds. Don't usually wear "skinny" fit, but definitely always slim.
    I used to be your exact height and weight. You likely do belong in skinny fits unless some measure is unusual. I had really broad shoulders for my weight, so back then I often didn't choose skinny fits. Slims that are tailored down will work if you prefer a slightly loose or want some growing room.

Spier and Mackay will provide the best value. Buying two will get you bundled pricing, which will drop each into the $280 range. These are Suit Supply type quality and styling with a slightly lower button stance. Personally, I'd RUN to this option.

Other option is J Crew Factory Thompson, on sale closer to the $220 range. For the extra $60 I'd easily choose Spier.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks! I, too, have very broad shoulders and long legs/arms. I should have been a swimmer, but instead played the more common sports. My chest size is actually smaller than the 36, but I often need something between a R and an L. It's a bitch.

I'll definitely look into the bundle pricing, which is something I was unaware of. Can they only be purchased online or are their suits sold in stores?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _dap View Post
    Thanks! I, too, have very broad shoulders and long legs/arms. I should have been a swimmer, but instead played the more common sports. My chest size is actually smaller than the 36, but I often need something between a R and an L. It's a bitch.

I'll definitely look into the bundle pricing, which is something I was unaware of. Can they only be purchased online or are their suits sold in stores?
    Online only, unless you happen to be in the Toronto area.

They do return of your first suit free. So you could order both an L and an R and return the ones you don't keep. They don't run overly slim nor overly generous, true to size in my experience.

Not sure if they stock a 36L. May start at 38 for longs.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    I used to be your exact height and weight. You likely do belong in skinny fits unless some measure is unusual. I had really broad shoulders for my weight, so back then I often didn't choose skinny fits. Slims that are tailored down will work if you prefer a slightly loose or want some growing room.

Spier and Mackay will provide the best value. Buying two will get you bundled pricing, which will drop each into the $280 range. These are Suit Supply type quality and styling with a slightly lower button stance. Personally, I'd RUN to this option.

Other option is J Crew Factory Thompson, on sale closer to the $220 range. For the extra $60 I'd easily choose Spier.
    Spier and Mackay don't do bundle pricing on suits anymore. They did drop the asking price though. Still a great value.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    Spier and Mackay don't do bundle pricing on suits anymore. They did drop the asking price though. Still a great value.
    Strange. I got bundle pricing on two suits that were new models in mid March, just 8 weeks ago. They were pre order, but I only pre ordered by a couple of days. How long ago was this changed, if you know? Mine was a light gray heather and a Guabello blue with burgundy check.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Joseph Abboud, Men's Wearhouse clearance section. American made, Italian cloth, good off the rack fit, and if you keep an eye on the clearance section, they will go down as low as $120. I picked up one of those the other day, and it's great.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    Strange. I got bundle pricing on two suits that were new models in mid March, just 8 weeks ago. They were pre order, but I only pre ordered by a couple of days. How long ago was this changed, if you know? Mine was a light gray heather and a Guabello blue with burgundy check.
    I don't recall the time frame, I just remember that it changed when they released some new suits with a lower asking price. Maybe @SpierMackay can elaborate?