Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Year round blazer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    I'll come back by with some photos this weekend. It's at the tailor having the sleeves shortened and pants done.
    Comparison pics against the usual Contemporary model 2 cut would be appreciated, if you have one available. I've been avoiding the Neapolitan cuts because I like a low button stance and the 3-roll-2 looked like it had a higher opening.

How much wider are the lapels (and what size do you wear, since S&M scales their lapels to chest size)? Unfortunately, they stopped putting lapel measurements in the description and instead opt for not really helpful "wide" and "modern wide"; happily, they are now consistently including fabric weight and super number.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)
    I have a J Crew legacy (the older style, made in murica and all that) that i picked up when they were on serious sale a while back. Great for everything but the seriously hottest days down in the swamps of DC (not a political statement, the place is actually built on a swamp so it's humid as fark) and the coldest of days back home in the Midwest. Other than that, it's fantastic.

Of course that won't stop me from picking up another hopsack or something. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggedcasual View Post
    Ok,
    So I have too many blazers...but realize I should have just purchased one, navy, hopsack wool casual blazer that I could use year round.
    Now the sales hit. Which one is the most versatile?

S&M. http://www.spierandmackay.com/angeli...orary-fit.html
    BR https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...&pid=215384002
    Nordstrom https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/rodd-gu...e_type=product

I think the SM would be best, but I need something I can wear with jeans. Is it too dressy?

Thanks
    I like the idea of a unstructured blazer for every day use since it is very versatile. However the BR coat isn't 100% wool like the Nordstrom one and it isn't canvassed like the Spier Mackay.

I think JCrew's Ludlow Slim-fit unstructured blazer in American wool is a better pick. $200, wool cotton blend so it will not be as stuffy as a full wool but not as wrinkly as a fool cotton. Unstructured

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...olor_name=navy

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    I'll come back by with some photos this weekend. It's at the tailor having the sleeves shortened and pants done.
    How'd the tailoring turn out?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    How'd the tailoring turn out?
    I left it about an inch less tight in the midsection than I usually do, to leave room for a sweater in the colder months.

Charcoal Spier Contemporary vs. Dark Brown Spier Neopolitan. You can see the button stance on each is basically the same.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    @ronrob Thank you, much appreciated.

That's a nice colour, looks to be a straight dark brown, and makes a good charcoal analog.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    @ronrob Thank you, much appreciated.

That's a nice colour, looks to be a straight dark brown, and makes a good charcoal analog.
    Yeah, I'm thrilled with it. Does style exactly as stated, it's been one of easiest where I thought it would be hardest. Already got a really nice compliment on it last night - had a public speaking thing to do, and someone in the audience told me the suit helped the message go down easier.