Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brooks Brothers AE Strands

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Did you try the European bar lacing listed where you actually criss cross? I did another version where I just looped the laces across and also thought it was loose and I realized I was doing it wrong.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Yeah I think unfortunately a decent number of people are sized incorrectly in AE shoes, especially since AE's most popular styles are mostly in the 65 last which is not exactly TTS. You have a pair of McAllisters right? If you don't have a v-gap problem there then you shouldn't have one in strands either since they're on the same last.
    Here is how my McAllisters close, and as you can see, there's no gap at all.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I’m going to return this pair and try a wider size.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I went from size 13A in AE to 13 C in BB strands. Fit seems good but I haven't worn them outside yet. Still deciding if I want to return them. Left shoe is perfect, right has a pretty good wrinkle on the outside of the shoe. If it were AE it'd be a second. I paid $170, so second price... I feel the overall quality is equal to mainline AE except that wrinkle.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    I rate my two pair of Meermins equal to my AE's in quality and better in styling for ~$200 pricing. I rate my end-of-season-sale JFitzpatrick chukkas ($190 plus shipping, ~$220 total) as 3 grades above AE quality At full price they are still cheaper that AE firsts and much better shoes in construction and styling. AEs new pricing IMO puts them totally out of contention with much better quality shoes available at same or lower cost.

AEs only advantages are tons of seconds/closeouts at seconds pricing and they make every shoe in every size/width and have a lot of different lasts. Most people can probably find an AE that will fit unless they are really outside the norm.
    With little patience AE will have a sale that there shoes can be had for $200 even firsts. Mermin and Jfitzpatrick seldom have sales if they do scoring one on your size will be luck. Also added expenses for shipping and foreign exchange fees from your credit card will charge you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chiconice View Post
    With little patience AE will have a sale that there shoes can be had for $200 even firsts. Mermin and Jfitzpatrick seldom have sales if they do scoring one on your size will be luck. Also added expenses for shipping and foreign exchange fees from your credit card will charge you.

Those prices included the shipping and I wasn't charged some exchange rate fee by my credit card for the transactions. I was charged whatever the exchange rate was that moment I made the purchase, no extra was charged. At regular pricing, why would I care if Meermin never has sales? Jfitz may not have sales often but IMO their shoes are 2 or 3 grades above AE in quality and priced lower at full retail than AE. The AEs I've bought within the last 5 years are NOT the same quality as the ones I bought 20 years ago.

I have 12-14 pairs of AEs, a number of those were firsts and 4 of them were from before the quality started going down. I love my AEs but they are not a good value now at full price and even at a discount, equal or better shoes can now be had and with better styling (opinion, not fact)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)
    Those prices included the shipping and I wasn't charged some exchange rate fee by my credit card for the transactions. I was charged whatever the exchange rate was that moment I made the purchase, no extra was charged. At regular pricing, why would I care if Meermin never has sales? Jfitz may not have sales often but IMO their shoes are 2 or 3 grades above AE in quality and priced lower at full retail than AE. The AEs I've bought within the last 5 years are NOT the same quality as the ones I bought 20 years ago.

I have 12-14 pairs of AEs, a number of those were firsts and 4 of them were from before the quality started going down. I love my AEs but they are not a good value now at full price and even at a discount, equal or better shoes can now be had and with better styling (opinion, not fact)
    Right now JFitzpatrick has a 20% off code he sent by email to subscribers to his Shoe Snob Blog. I'm getting my first pair of his shoes and am very excited.

I will add to your comment that I have found, based on one pair of shoes, that Herring shoes are just a cut above AE in more or less the same price range. The detailing/stitching is better in my opinion. Leather maybe a little bit better. And you all know I love me AE shoes, so it's not knocking them.

Also to the OP: AE has a big sale right now!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

I agree with Jfitz been Superior to AE. Free shipping is not included during rare times there's a big sale from Jfitz. My bank charge me $12.00 exchange fee the last time bought shoes from Jfitz.