Thread: College graduation coming up. Any recommendations for inexpensive navy suits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

College graduation coming up. Any recommendations for inexpensive navy suits?

This will be my first suit purchase. I am looking to spend less than $250. I've considered JCF Thompson suits but there are no JCFs close to where I live; I'm not sure I want to purchase one online without checking them out first.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)
    Because of your budget, you might not be able to go with the favorites around here like Suit Supply, etc.

And I know it's not favored around here, but I've found that I can get decent (not great) 100% wool suits from Macys for under $200 if I shop the sales. They will look very good if you have a good tailor alter them for you. Plan to spend about $100 on that.

Also, today I am wearing a 100% wool suit I picked up from Joseph Bank online for a mere $79. Crazy, eh? It's their 1905 model.

I've been very happy with a suit I got on sale from Banana Republic for $210, super 120's wool.

And finally, I've been very happy with a few things I've picked up from Men's Wearhouse for next to nothing (cashmere sports coat for $79, for example).

I haven't hesitated to buy online since I found a great tailor to go to--he can fix most problems, so if I get it cheap, it's fine--just have to drive 30 minutes each way to the tailor.

I don't know why I can spend $300 or $400 on a pair of shoes, but I get so cheap when it comes to suits.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adirev View Post
    This will be my first suit purchase. I am looking to spend less than $250. I've considered JCF Thompson suits but there are no JCFs close to where I live; I'm not sure I want to purchase one online without checking them out first.
    Where do you live? I'd suggest trying to get a first suit in person, although that is unfortunately not a guarantee on a good fit. But knowing where you live, and what your B&M options are will help.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    Not attempting to thread-jack, but I would like some opinions that I think will add to OP's suit decisions, and also answer some questions that I have. Traditionally, the gown is black, should one wear black shoes or are brown acceptable? Should a suit jacket be worn under the gown? (I've read different thoughts on this. One side says "Yes" it adds to the overall shape of the person wearing the gown, as they can be very unflattering. Other side says, "No" that it will be too hot. Tie or no tie? (collar can be lost under the gown, tie makes it look sharper and more complete). Thoughts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Not attempting to thread-jack, but I would like some opinions that I think will add to OP's suit decisions, and also answer some questions that I have. Traditionally, the gown is black, should one wear black shoes or are brown acceptable? Should a suit jacket be worn under the gown? (I've read different thoughts on this. One side says "Yes" it adds to the overall shape of the person wearing the gown, as they can be very unflattering. Other side says, "No" that it will be too hot. Tie or no tie? (collar can be lost under the gown, tie makes it look sharper and more complete). Thoughts?
    Most people have no respect for academic dress and end up looking like slobs, or worse. If you want to do it properly, wear black shoes, suit jacket and tie (unless it’s hot and outside, in which case you can ditch the jacket).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

College graduation coming up. Any recommendations for inexpensive navy suits?

Quote Originally Posted by adirev View Post
    Are you required to wear a suit? What do you want to do with the suit afterwards? Wear it to job interviews and weddings?

If you have an interest in menswear and hope to wear it in the future, I recommend not rushing into a purchase just for a graduation. Given the time constraint and budget (which is understandable as a student), you’re unlikely to get anything nice. You can get a good deal on a decent suit, but it takes research and patience.

I suggest buying a nice pair of grey or navy trousers (which are always useful) and waiting on your suit until you have more time to shop, compare and wait for sales.

Last edited by theplayerking; May 17th, 2018 at 08:19 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    682 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    Are you required to wear a suit? What do you want to do with the suit afterwards? Wear it to job interviews and weddings?

If you have an interest in menswear and hope to wear it in the future, I recommend not rushing into a purchase just for a graduation. Given the time constraint and budget (which is understandable as a student), you’re unlikely to get any nice. You can get a good deal on a decent suit, but it takes research and patience.

I suggest buying a nice pair of grey or navy trousers (which are always useful) and waiting on your suit until you have more time to shop, compare and wait for sales.

I agree with this. Very few people at any of my college graduations ever wore a suit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    I agree with this. Very few people at any of my college graduations ever wore a suit
    To each their own but I would've passed out from the heat if I wore a suit under a gown at my graduation. About 2 hours sitting in the direct sun on the football stadium, an hour beforehand lining up and finding friends, then an hour or so afterwards for the college specific degrees, and then photos? Add on to that likely hungover from last day partying with friends? I don't think there is that much upside to wearing a suit. If you want to go to it but I understand why people don't, nor do I think it's necessary.

I wouldn't even consider wearing a suit under the gown. I wore dress pants, dress shirt and tie. It's been awhile but I don't even think one would be able to tell I was wearing a suit under the gown as covering as it is.