Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Short sleeve button down shirts anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)

    Short sleeve button down shirts anyone?

    Anyone here wearing short sleeve button downs in warm weather? Or are polos the way to go? And even though I am referencing casual wear by asking the question, for me I can't get the image of Detective Sipowicz out of me head every time I see someone wearing a short sleeve button down.



    That said, I do have some older gentlemen (and some not so older gents) in my office who do dress like this in the summer months.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I have been switching back over to short sleeve button downs...a little more dynamic than polos. I have found nice slim fitting ones at Topman and Zara. Bonobos also has nice ones. Still wear polos as well though.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    I'm actually giving them a try this season but I'll be wearing polos primarily. Definitely going for a more laid back and casual look than the typical look from Falling Down that Michael Douglas rocks (or the above photo). Right now I'm just trying to find something that's cheap to start with and fits ok. LBD suggested I check out Target for some affordable ones to try. I plan on stopping by this weekend.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)
    i can't do short sleeve button up shirts. polo all the way

  5. #5
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,060
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    I have no problem with it but own none. A polo does the same job; so does a shirt with rolled up sleeves.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    I have no problem with it but own none. A polo does the same job; so does a shirt with rolled up sleeves.
    A dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up isn't quite the same. First, rolling it up significantly reduces the air circulation since the airways are no longer as large (if there are any at all). Second, the weight of the sleeves adds quite a bit to discomfort over time in extreme heat. Third, rolling up the sleeves only gets you to the elbow, whereas polos/short sleeve button ups can get you to mid bicep, leaving much more skin exposed to the air.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,060
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    A dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up isn't quite the same. First, rolling it up significantly reduces the air circulation since the airways are no longer as large (if there are any at all). Second, the weight of the sleeves adds quite a bit to discomfort over time in extreme heat. Third, rolling up the sleeves only gets you to the elbow, whereas polos/short sleeve button ups can get you to mid bicep, leaving much more skin exposed to the air.
    You're right. I was just trying to say, owning polos and long sleeve shirts, I just dont feel there's a hole in my wardrobe that I need to get a short sleeve shirt.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    The only one I have is a hawaiian print from Reyn Spooner, but I do love it. Definitely only wear it for bbqs and weekends.

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    I've been doing them for a couple years now. Key is do not go dress shirty with them - get them in a more casual fabric with maybe a camp collar (doesn't have to be but they are inherently more casual) with some kind of print or pattern. Do not go wrinkle free or dress shirt material, and pay attention to the fit. You are going for Pierce Brosnan in the tropics (Cuba maybe? I can't remember) in Die Another Day (I know, not the best Bond movie ever made, not even close) or Daniel Craig in the opening action sequence of Casino Royale. Get the sleeves taken in if necessary to avoid extra room around the arms - they don't have to be skin tight but you do not want a ton of extra sleeve fabric flaring out.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Varsity Member JT10000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    564
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Key is do not go dress shirty with them - get them in a more casual fabric with maybe a camp collar (doesn't have to be but they are inherently more casual) with some kind of print or pattern. Do not go wrinkle free or dress shirt material, and pay attention to the fit.
    Yes. And solids are OK if on the casual side in terms of color and texture. I have a dark navy OCBD shirt like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •