Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short sleeve button down shirts anyone?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    645 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    I have no problem with it but own none. A polo does the same job; so does a shirt with rolled up sleeves.
    A dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up isn't quite the same. First, rolling it up significantly reduces the air circulation since the airways are no longer as large (if there are any at all). Second, the weight of the sleeves adds quite a bit to discomfort over time in extreme heat. Third, rolling up the sleeves only gets you to the elbow, whereas polos/short sleeve button ups can get you to mid bicep, leaving much more skin exposed to the air.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    877 Post(s)
    SSBDs, as I call them, are great. However, there's a difference between a short sleeve dress shirt and a casual short sleeve button down. The former should be reserved for children, the latter can be a great alternative to a polo / step up from tshirt in warm months. SSBDs are a bit bold, even without have crazy/loud patterns (although some of mine do), so don't think you'll fly under the radar wearing them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I like short sleeve button-downs, especially if they're plaid or madras and even more if they're true vintage. The look may be a bit Cosmo Kramer meets Don Draper-on-the-weekend, especially with khakis (which is how I always wear them) but they're comfy and cool, and brilliant in an ironic hipster way. Only two rules, in my very humble opinion: never with shorts (not even khaki shorts) and never never never with a tie!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I don't like dress shirt short sleeve button down, but I do have a couple casual linen ones from Banana Republic which I really like (last years version of) https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...&pid=274281002

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    A dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up isn't quite the same. First, rolling it up significantly reduces the air circulation since the airways are no longer as large (if there are any at all). Second, the weight of the sleeves adds quite a bit to discomfort over time in extreme heat. Third, rolling up the sleeves only gets you to the elbow, whereas polos/short sleeve button ups can get you to mid bicep, leaving much more skin exposed to the air.
    You're right. I was just trying to say, owning polos and long sleeve shirts, I just dont feel there's a hole in my wardrobe that I need to get a short sleeve shirt.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Key is do not go dress shirty with them - get them in a more casual fabric with maybe a camp collar (doesn't have to be but they are inherently more casual) with some kind of print or pattern. Do not go wrinkle free or dress shirt material, and pay attention to the fit.
    Yes. And solids are OK if on the casual side in terms of color and texture. I have a dark navy OCBD shirt like that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    A shirt sleeve "dress shrit" for the office - no. Double no, if you wear it with a tie. A short sleeve casusl shirt in a print or linen - passable. I personally still prefer the look of a casual shirt with the sleeves rolled up, plus you wear them in cooler weather. I can't think of a situation where I would need a dressier short sleeve shirt at all. I don't work outside, but inside a temperature controlled office.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Anyone here wearing short sleeve button downs in warm weather?
    I need to confirm this when summer comes, but my long sleeve shirt is never too hot. I prefer long sleeve actually for sun protection. I roll up when I wanna blend in with the mass, or when the sleeves (usually of a linen shirt) have shrunk.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I only see short sleeve button ups/downs looking good if they are casual (softer fabric) and untucked. That would not really fly in many offices unless it's a relaxed office culture. I have a couple in plaid that I wear with shorts on especially hot days (bonus points in that the plaid pattern often helps take the focus off the fact that I may be sweating through my shirt!). I have a pretty cool linen popover short sleeve in navy with subtle red stripes that looks great for the beach or roaming around tropical locals (recently wore in Rio), but again, not really close to office wearable!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Anyone here wearing short sleeve button downs in warm weather? Or are polos the way to go? And even though I am referencing casual wear by asking the question, for me I can't get the image of Detective Sipowicz out of me head every time I see someone wearing a short sleeve button down.

That said, I do have some older gentlemen (and some not so older gents) in my office who do dress like this in the summer months.
    I live in Houston(and Mexico City) as much as I love long sleeves, I have to go short sleeves for at least 3 months out of the year. My short sleeve only makes up about 3 shirts(linen) on my wardrobe but I have about 10 luxury touch polos from Banana republic (I love these polos!). I'm a polo shirt guy for Summer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk