Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Do automatic watches need a "settling in" period?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,630
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    682 Post(s)

    Do automatic watches need a "settling in" period?

    To update, I received my Orient Mako USA II back from servicing (it was running 30+ sec fast/day). This was the 2nd time they've had to service it. I got it back in approx just under a month, so good fast service there. According to the sheet they attached to the watch, it should run only 4.3 sec fast/day. But timed it the first 24 hrs...and it's still running 14 sec fast/day. That's within their +/-, but still really fast. Should I give it some time to settle in before complaining to them again?
    Last edited by Scofield; May 16th, 2018 at 10:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member Nandyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    To update, I received my Orient Mako USA II back from servicing (it was running 30+ sec fast/day). This was the 2nd time they've had to service it. I got it back in approx just under a month, so good fast service there. According to the sheet they attached to the watch, it should run only 4.3 sec fast/day. But timed it the first 24 hrs...and it's still running 14 sec fast/day. That's within their +/-, but still really fast. Should I give it some time to settle in before complaining to them again?
    Could be due to thermal expansion, perhaps? They may have timed your watch in sterile/lab conditions sitting on a bench vs actually being worn in the climate you live in.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,389
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    890 Post(s)
    I have never heard of a settling in period. 14 seconds is nothing in a day. Just enjoy your watch and if you want something more accurate, get quartz, something battery powered, or a SCOC watch. That's the certification Rolex and others put theirs watches through.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Quoted
    917 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I have never heard of a settling in period. 14 seconds is nothing in a day. Just enjoy your watch and if you want something more accurate, get quartz, something battery powered, or a SCOC watch. That's the certification Rolex and others put theirs watches through.
    COSC, but generally what he said. I have much more expensive watches that I'm sure are in that range of accuracy (given lack of upkeep/maintenance, age, etc.).

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,389
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    890 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    COSC, but generally what he said. I have much more expensive watches that I'm sure are in that range of accuracy (given lack of upkeep/maintenance, age, etc.).
    I went with the initials on my watch....The crown let me down!

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    178
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I went with the initials on my watch....The crown let me down!
    Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified? That's just Rolex talk for 'we're better than COSC (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres)'.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    874
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I went with the initials on my watch....The crown let me down!
    Don't worry you're not wrong: Rolex's SCOC is more stringent than COSC standards (which is not affiliated with any one brand). High end manufactures are increasingly coming up with their own standards: Omega helped to create the Master Chronometer certification, Patek has their PP seal, etc.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,957
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1768 Post(s)
    Wear the watch for a week and see how it is running. Inexpensive watches have a fair bit of positional variation in their accuracy which tends to even out over time. A couple of my Seikos may seem to run fast or slow on any given day but they both tend to average about 2-5 seconds fast per day over long periods of time. (That, of course, is an unusual level of accuracy for an entry level 7s26 movement, which was the result of sheer dumb luck on my SKX007 and very patient regulation by me on my SKX009.)

    If you are really this concerned about accuracy, then I agree with the above that you either need to get a quartz watch or be prepared to pony up big money for a mechanical watch with much tighter accuracy specs.
    Ben

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,630
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    682 Post(s)
    Is more accuracy really asking for too much...? Every other orient i've ever had has run less than 5 sec/day fast

  10. #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,389
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    890 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    Is more accuracy really asking for too much...? Every other orient i've ever had has run less than 5 sec/day fast
    There is a Made in the USA joke in here somewhere...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •