Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do automatic watches need a "settling in" period?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    663 Post(s)

Do automatic watches need a "settling in" period?

To update, I received my Orient Mako USA II back from servicing (it was running 30+ sec fast/day). This was the 2nd time they've had to service it. I got it back in approx just under a month, so good fast service there. According to the sheet they attached to the watch, it should run only 4.3 sec fast/day. But timed it the first 24 hrs...and it's still running 14 sec fast/day. That's within their +/-, but still really fast. Should I give it some time to settle in before complaining to them again?
    Last edited by Scofield; May 16th, 2018 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    To update, I received my Orient Mako USA II back from servicing (it was running 30+ sec fast/day). This was the 2nd time they've had to service it. I got it back in approx just under a month, so good fast service there. According to the sheet they attached to the watch, it should run only 4.3 sec fast/day. But timed it the first 24 hrs...and it's still running 14 sec fast/day. That's within their +/-, but still really fast. Should I give it some time to settle in before complaining to them again?
    Could be due to thermal expansion, perhaps? They may have timed your watch in sterile/lab conditions sitting on a bench vs actually being worn in the climate you live in.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    856 Post(s)
    I have never heard of a settling in period. 14 seconds is nothing in a day. Just enjoy your watch and if you want something more accurate, get quartz, something battery powered, or a SCOC watch. That's the certification Rolex and others put theirs watches through.

Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1684 Post(s)
    Wear the watch for a week and see how it is running. Inexpensive watches have a fair bit of positional variation in their accuracy which tends to even out over time. A couple of my Seikos may seem to run fast or slow on any given day but they both tend to average about 2-5 seconds fast per day over long periods of time. (That, of course, is an unusual level of accuracy for an entry level 7s26 movement, which was the result of sheer dumb luck on my SKX007 and very patient regulation by me on my SKX009.)

If you are really this concerned about accuracy, then I agree with the above that you either need to get a quartz watch or be prepared to pony up big money for a mechanical watch with much tighter accuracy specs.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    663 Post(s)
    Is more accuracy really asking for too much...? Every other orient i've ever had has run less than 5 sec/day fast

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    856 Post(s)
    Is more accuracy really asking for too much...? Every other orient i've ever had has run less than 5 sec/day fast
    There is a Made in the USA joke in here somewhere...

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    888 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I have never heard of a settling in period. 14 seconds is nothing in a day. Just enjoy your watch and if you want something more accurate, get quartz, something battery powered, or a SCOC watch. That's the certification Rolex and others put theirs watches through.
    COSC, but generally what he said. I have much more expensive watches that I'm sure are in that range of accuracy (given lack of upkeep/maintenance, age, etc.).

Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1684 Post(s)
    Expecting COSC-like accuracy - i.e. the same level of accuracy typical of Rolex/Breitling/Omega/etc - is, in fact, asking too much from an entry-level, mass-produced mechanical watch movement. The fact your other Orients have apparently been more accurate than this one is just a function of dumb luck, not a guarantee.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    856 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    COSC, but generally what he said. I have much more expensive watches that I'm sure are in that range of accuracy (given lack of upkeep/maintenance, age, etc.).
    I went with the initials on my watch....The crown let me down!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I went with the initials on my watch....The crown let me down!
    Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified? That's just Rolex talk for 'we're better than COSC (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres)'.