Thread: Muji Clothes (and other things)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

Muji Clothes (and other things)

I've just been to the Cooper Square Muji store in NY, and first, I love it, but wanted to know whether anyone had thoughts on their clothes. I don't have one locally, but I really like the simple, brand-less aesthetic of all their items, as well as the idea behind it.

The clothing looks simple and I am particularly interested in their lightweight shirts, or their outerwear. Feels kind of like a slightly more upscale Uniqlo. I already like their socks a lot, but interested in other's views on the rest of their offerings.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    You're right, they're like Uniqlo but with slightly better quality. I think it's also coz Uniqlo's quality, particularly with outerwear, seems to have gone down a bit. But Muji's price is significantly higher though, and a pair of argyle socks from Muji got worn down pretty quick while my Uniqlo argyles are still fine.

I just stick to Uniqlo nowadays (except for outerwear) and just (rarely) buy from Muji if they have an item that Uniqlo doesn't have.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I like the sweaters from Muji, but usually wait until they are at least 30% off.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    I've just been to the Cooper Square Muji store in NY, and first, I love it, but wanted to know whether anyone had thoughts on their clothes. I don't have one locally, but I really like the simple, brand-less aesthetic of all their items, as well as the idea behind it.

The clothing looks simple and I am particularly interested in their lightweight shirts, or their outerwear. Feels kind of like a slightly more upscale Uniqlo. I already like their socks a lot, but interested in other's views on the rest of their offerings.
    I shopped at my local mall's Muji when I lived in Japan a few years back. Given how relatively new Muji is here I'm assuming the clothes are the same (and they aren't producing American "gaijin" sized items like Uniqlo is now).

The good:
    -Sweaters and cardigans - I sized up since Japanese sizes tend to be a size smaller than their American counterparts (ie a Japanese L is an American M so I worked a Japanese XL/LL since I usually wear an American L). The sweaters fit about the same as the Uniqlo Merino Slim's that Joe loves on the main page. The cardigans were a little baggier when buttoned but I usually wore them open and didn't notice it much.
    -Pants - I have a pair of grey slacks that I'm not sure the material (some kind of stretchy cotton blend I think) that fit me better than anything I'd ever bought before. I had a pair of red chinos as well that fit similarly, although they didn't survive the trip back to the states.

The so so:
    -Shirts - I picked up two OCBDs from them (white and blue). It was hard to find a shirt that a) fit my shoulders, b) was long enough to stay tucked in, and c) had sleeves that were the right length. I kept my blue OCBD as it met two of the three, but since the sleeves we're too short I had a tailor convert it to a short sleeve shirt. One thing to note is that the collars are not very big so it's tough to fit a tie underneath (and there's no collar roll if you care about that like I do).

The bad (IMO):
    -Blazers/sport coats - these just didn't fit my hulking gaijin frame shoulders were out of whack and the tail was super short (I usually wear a 40L or 42L depending on the brand). A few of my Japanese co-workers wore them and they seemed to fit them better, so it depends on your build. They had a grey knot sportcoat/sweater hybrid that looked super soft and comfy back when I was there.
    -Socks - my wife bought me a whole bunch when we were over there last summer visiting her family, but they're awkwardly not long enough on my shin to stay up and end up showing too much leg hair if I cross my legs (even on trousers with a half break).

Other things I recommend from them:
    -rolling luggage (game changer)
    -slippers (used them a lot in Japan in the house)
    -sneakers. If their unisex canvas sneakers are in your size you're in luck because they're super minimalistic but execute on it so well.
    -their beanbag chairs. As a grown married man I still recommend these.

In case you can't tell, I spend a lot of time at Muji. It would not be wrong to call them a Japanese Ikea when it comes to furniture.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I also shop there when in Japan. My most recent purchase was a medium weight rain jacket. I am a 36s or Small/XS, depending on store, in the US and a Medium in Japan (usually).

The Muni Medium jacket fits well for me, it’s not baggy but not slim/tight either. Really just about perfect. The construction is awesome. The materials, detail and stitching are amazing considering the price, which was about $80.

I too love the brand-less and simple look of their styles. We have a shop in San Francisco but I have not visited it. My wife says it is pricy compared to Muji in Japan but she still likes shopping there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk