Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definitive Chukka boot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Definitive Chukka boot?

Recently I was looking for a quality pair of Chelsea boots, and was steered towards R.M. Williams offerings, thankfully. Very high quality, very comfortable, built to last, reasonably priced.

Now I'm interested in picking up a pair of Chukka boots, and wondered what brands/manufacturers are known for their boots. Also, it seems suede is the classic style, any advice on suede vs. regular leather?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Clarks are a classic (on the cheaper end). I had a pair in dark brown leather which I loved. I now have a pair in suede which are okay, but not my favorite.

I would say the Allen Edmonds/Massdrop would be my top choice. I don’t have a pair, but maybe one day they will bring them back? Anyone know if Massdrop does this?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    They did a couple runs of the AExMassdrop chukka and they ended up being hugely popular. I would not be surprised if they came back and I'm hoping they do! I would love to pickup a pair in Sand, my current pair in chocolate are my favorite.

Personally I'd say pass on the Clarks and grab some Astorflex ones instead. Same crepe sole but much better leather and construction. Mine have seen a lot of wear since buying them and they are still comfortable to walk around all day in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips. I'll look into Astorflex (US or EU company?), tried on some AE recently after hearing some Americans raving about their shoes. They're nice. Not great, but quite nice IMHO.

One other thing. Can I expect Chukka boots to last, or are they wear and replace? When I buy dress shoes (Carmina, Barker, etc) I expect them to last and last, and then to repair/restore them. Does the same apply to Chukkas, or are they more wear and replace once they're worn out? That will affect my purchasing decision.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    317 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfNorway View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I'll look into Astorflex (US or EU company?), tried on some AE recently after hearing some Americans raving about their shoes. They're nice. Not great, but quite nice IMHO.

One other thing. Can I expect Chukka boots to last, or are they wear and replace? When I buy dress shoes (Carmina, Barker, etc) I expect them to last and last, and then to repair/restore them. Does the same apply to Chukkas, or are they more wear and replace once they're worn out? That will affect my purchasing decision.
    All else equal, chukkas and dress shoes have similar lifespans. No reason why a Carmina chukka would be wear and replace while a Carmina dress shoe lasts a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    http://www.fashionbeans.com/article/...-chukka-boots/

If you live in a place where it rains a lot, I'd stay away from suede.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Loake is a commonly highly regarded decently priced chukka. I bought a pair from JCrew but really wanted (and still do) a pair from Cobbler Union. I love how sleek the cobbler union boots are and they have a rubber sole. With that said, im quite obsessed with CU so ill throw that out there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    What's your budget?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    My go-to dress boots are a pair of black Brooks Brothers Peal and Co Cavalry Chukkas ... on Dainite soles and very sleek. They were spendy ($250 on sale down from $500), but they are durable as heck, comfy for extended air travel, and look great under grey suit trousers. I think that they are made by Alfred Sargent.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-C...efault,pd.html

Spendy, but well worth it for me.

NOte that these are Goodyear Welt construction and as durable as any mid-high-end dress shoe. Totally different from Clarks or other stitch-down chukkas on crepe rubber soles. That said, I have seen a couple of internet stories about Clarks that the owner had resoled with durable soles and laster for years and years...