Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorful Print Shirts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Colorful Print Shirts

I need some opinions on colorful print button down shirts. I mean those with tigers, palm trees, or other designs. Clearly not for business meetings. Clearly for casual wear. But that is only half the question. Who wears these? What vibe do they give off? Are they in bad taste even in casual situations? Would a really sharp, well dressed guy be seen in them if it was just on Saturday during leisure time? Are they looked down on as modern day disco shirts?

I had the impression they were off limits for mature adults but plenty of respected retailers sell them so that got me thinking. I do like the designs, being an artist of sorts, but that doesn't mean I should wear them on my shirts necessarily.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    393 Post(s)
    Florals seem to be big this season. I have a J Crew floral that Ill wear sometimes, but to informal events.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    They are casual but on trend these days. I wear them sometimes on casual Fridays but mostly off duty. If you want to attempt a smart casual look with them (and this is going to sound weird) try channeling Kramer from Seinfeld. I usually wear mine with chinos or shorts and sneakers - more casual than smart casual.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    969 Post(s)
    I bought my most colourful shirt to date at the Gap sale last week. A pink OCBD. While it might not seem that crazy/colourful/outrageous for someone who primarily wears white and blue shirts, this is stepping out of the box for me.

I like it thought, and will probably start looking around for other colourful shirts.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    877 Post(s)
    Who gave you the idea that being a "mature adult" requires you not to wear anything fun?

Time and place always important, but if you like it, wear it. I purchased a bold print shirt from Bonobos this year, TBD on how much I'll wear it this summer, but I like the idea of it. Then again, I also wear Chubbies on occasion (mostly swim trunks these days, although I do still own a few pair of their shorts) and don't mind not taking myself too seriously (I'm plenty serious at work, but you have to have some fun when you can).

Edit: Forgot to add, I intend to wear it with mostly shorts and casual chinos. Not exclusive to the beach/lake/pool/BBQ scenarios, but that type of feel vs. trying to dress it up for work.

Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1660 Post(s)
    I've been wearing the hell out of some bold patterned, short sleeved shirts these days. I like to layer them over a short-sleeved henley, undo the top several buttons, roll up the sleeves, tuck into chinos. It feels very mid-century Cuban to me.

Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    There was some talk about short sleeve button ups over on the S&M SF thread that got me interested in picking up one or two to try out this year. I'd be going for a look similar to @LesserBlackDog. Just haven't found any shirts that really jumped out at me yet, was really tempted to just MTM a couple when S&M had their 10% off sitewide sale a few weeks ago, hoping to find a couple of cheaper ones before going all in.

Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1660 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    There was some talk about short sleeve button ups over on the S&M SF thread that got me interested in picking up one or two to try out this year. I'd be going for a look similar to @LesserBlackDog. Just haven't found any shirts that really jumped out at me yet, was really tempted to just MTM a couple when S&M had their 10% off sitewide sale a few weeks ago, hoping to find a couple of cheaper ones before going all in.
    Target's got short sleeved shirts in some fun prints if you're just looking for something inexpensive to try out.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)
    Reyn Spooner has some awesome hawaiian prints, button down collars, and slim fits. I think they do a big sale one a year that brings the price down to a more reasonable level https://www.reynspooner.com/collections/men-on-sale

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    853 Post(s)
    i picked up several from old navy last year or the year before. They have lasted longer than I expected but the material isnt the best. I plan on upgrading them soon. I wear them with chinos or my linen blend shorts a lot.