Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What heights should use Short/Regular/Long sizes?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    691 Post(s)

What heights should use Short/Regular/Long sizes?

I'm 5'-6" and have used 36S since getting into fashion. But Suitsupply just added onto their website that short is for people less than 5-5 and 5-5 or taller should use regular sizes. is that accurate? i've liked the way the S looked on me. It hits me most of the way down the fly and butt (maybe a peak of each). Have I been buying the wrong size all along?
    Last edited by Scofield; May 15th, 2018 at 09:33 AM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    921 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    I'm 5'-6" and have used 36S since getting into fashion. But Suitsupply just added onto their website that short is for people less than 5-5 and 5-5 or taller should use regular sizes. is that accurate? i've liked the way the S looked on me. It hits me most of the way down the fly and butt (maybe a peak of each). Have I been buying the wrong size all along?
    It depends on your proportions. I have a longer torso and arms and am 6'1" so I buy long sizes in SuitSupply. Similarly, you could have longer legs, shorter torso and take a regular. Go with how it fits you and not their recommendation. A peak of each should be fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    It really depends on brand and body type. I know a guy who is 5'6 or 7, and according to many brands, his height would indicate that he would be wearing short, but because he has long torso, he wears regular length.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I'm skeptical that guidance is correct. I have a Napoli suit from SS that is a 38 short, and I'm 5'8". I was fitted in the store. SuitSupply is a Dutch company and people in the Netherlands are some of the tallest people on earth, on average. One would think that would skew things in the taller rather than shorter direction for their sizing, but who knows? I'm guessing something may have gone wrong with the metric to feet-inches conversion. My Napoli is probably close to a half decade old so it's possible they've changed things and what they're saying in their guidance is now correct, but as of roughly 2012 a short fit my 5'8" frame. The body length was perfect for me - the sleeves did have to be tailored to add just smidge of length though - their sleeves run the shortest I've ever seen from an off the rack company.

J Crew's size guidance recommends their short sizes for guys 5'7" - 5'10"...I'm a short in their jackets but would probably go with a regular if I were any taller than I am.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    366 Post(s)
    When I went to SuSu in Georgetown they put me in a 40s. I’m 5’11.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Whether a jacket fits you depends on where it falls on your body, not on what number or letter is inside on the label. I prefer a jacket that properly covers one's back side and don't really like the cropped look of the last 5 or so years. But perhaps we're moving back a little longer which is why the guidance on S, R, and L, seems to be changing? I wouldn't trust JCrew or Suit Supply not to change the "proper" fit based on changing fashions.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    If you find a really good tailor, he or she can tell you if a particular length is right. Absent that, go with what you like on you.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    When I went to SuSu in Georgetown they put me in a 40s. I’m 5’11.
    This seems like nonsense, but if you like it and it looks good, why not?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    366 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    This seems like nonsense, but if you like it and it looks good, why not?
    Well I was new to buying nicer suits so I went with their opinion. Sleeves are a little on the shorter side than maybe I’d prefer but wife thought it looked nice. I now do s&m 40r and they don’t need tailoring at all.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Well I was new to buying nicer suits so I went with their opinion. Sleeves are a little on the shorter side than maybe I’d prefer but wife thought it looked nice. I now do s&m 40r and they don’t need tailoring at all.
    Funny you should mention the wife. My wife convinced me late last year that I was totally out of step and wearing all my jacket sleeves too long, and all my suits too boxy and loose.

She was right, but it sent me on a buying binge that just is slowing down now--three new sports coats, four or five new suits, four or five new dress slacks, and a new tux, plus taking a bunch of my stuff to the tailors to modify.