Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Sling Bags?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)

Thoughts on Sling Bags?

I've been seeing more and more people wearing sling bags in different cities Ive been to. Anyone have any experience utilizing one of these? Any benefits, say over a messenger bag? Seems like it would be useful to just grab and go if one only has a few items to take for a day out with them. Thoughts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    I don't have a sling bag but I do a messenger bag. If you run or walk fast enough with a messenger bag, a messenger bag would bounce off your back or behind it could get annoying. It looks a sling bag will stay close to your back.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    I don't have a sling bag but I do a messenger bag. If you run or walk fast enough with a messenger bag, a messenger bag would bounce off your back or behind it could get annoying. It looks a sling bag will stay close to your back.
    Great point. It looks like it would be pretty compact for someone who uses the subway, or trains often. Might be a good choice for a person who cycles to work, as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I have this sling bag from Peak Design but in the larger 10 L size, not the 5 L which I believe is in your pictures. I also have an old Tumi sling in a heathered grey that's about 7.5 L and looks like a miniature backpack. I personally find slings nice for day trips out during the spring and summer, when I don't have a ton of pockets and want to carry more than just keys, phone, and wallet. The Peak Design slings are useful because they have an easy length-adjust slide on the strap and articulated attachment points; but, they do suffer in the style department (more 'photog / tech' look). in my opinion, it seems like many slings are more technical-looking. But, from my personal experience, they're nice to have and definitely stay closer to the body with fewer people bumping into it than a messenger bag or briefcase with shoulder strap. Everyone's mileage will probably greatly vary, based on manufacturer and style of sling.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    "Everybody needs to drive an automobile, even the very tall."

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    This ^^. Whenever I'm running for the bus with my messenger bag it is bouncing all over the place. I don 't know if a sling back would suit my work environment though. I wear a suit & tie two or three days week and I can't see myself wearing a sling back with that get-up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I dont care for the look of them but if the functionality is needed, then i say yeah - go with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd think if you have more than will fit comfortably in your pocket, either a briefcase or messenger bag would be the thing to use. This looks rather like a camera bag. Unless you're hiking, in which case a small backpack would do just as well and have room for a water bottle and snacks ;-).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    1980’s fanny pack, only worn over one shoulder. I either go business (briefcase) or travel/casual (daypack)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I use them fly fishing and have used for work from time to time. I like the concept but I wish there more designs available for men. I tried to find one similar to the Kavu but made with suede or distressed leather-but had no success.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    expensive purses for men with more money than sense.