Thread: Recommendation Request: A good shoe dressing in DC

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Recommendation Request: A good shoe dressing in DC

Hey all,

As the owner of Strands, Daltons and Mcalisters (all walnut), I am looking for a credible place in DC who can restore (shine/ condition/ dress) that "pop" they used to have.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, my fellow Dappered brethren.

Heaf

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heafcliffe View Post
    Hey all,

As the owner of Strands, Daltons and Mcalisters (all walnut), I am looking for a credible place in DC who can restore (shine/ condition/ dress) that "pop" they used to have.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, my fellow Dappered brethren.

Heaf
    Maybe just me, but for the shoes you mentioned, I feel like those look better when they're more natural leather, i.e. not shiny (like semi-matte/satin vs high gloss paint) With the brogueing and whatnot, they just look better au natural, some patina, and no mirror shine. If it were some park Aves or other plain toe, non brogue captoes, etc, then a nice shine would serve you well.

Just some good conditioner and a nice horse hair brush should be all you need (and maybe some Walnut shoe cream from AE), and use the $ saved buying more AE shoes!
    Last edited by Nandyn; April 7th, 2019 at 07:51 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    You can try Sky Valet: https://www.skyvaletshoes.com/about

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Appreciate the feedback. Definitely don't want a shine. Want the leather to be healthy/conditioned.

Trust me, the last thing I need is more shoes....I have been eyeing quite a few pairs though. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Maybe just me, but for the shoes you mentioned, I feel like those look better when they're more natural leather, i.e. not shiny (like semi-matte/satin vs high gloss paint) With the brogueing and whatnot, they just look better au natural, some patina, and no mirror shine. If it were some park Aves or other plain toe, non brogue captoes, etc, then a nice shine would serve you well.

Just some good conditioner and a nice horse hair brush should be all you need (and maybe some Walnut shoe cream from AE), and use the $ saved buying more AE shoes!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Thank you! They are not too far from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Last edited by Heafcliffe; April 8th, 2019 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    528 Post(s)
    If you just want them conditioned, what color(s) are they? I'm right up 295 from DC and have a healthy selection of (mostly AE) creams and what not. Would happily have a bro-date day to play with choos.

I even have AE chili edge dressing. Totally forgot I had that, I should probably use some.

ETA: I can also help with a wax application if you're looking to learn that too. Saphir FTW.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Happy Holidays all,

Thanks for the help with the AEs! Fortunately, I was able to take care them myself but I may need some professional assistance with these Florsheim Imperial Wings 93602 I thrifted.

They are in great condition but the leather feels considerably different than my AEs. More sturdy, less pliable. Shoes may need a conditioning and the heels a cobbler.

Sky Valet is rather expensive.

Any other recommendations in the DC?

Thanks in advance.

Heaf

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    528 Post(s)
    Happy Holidays all,

Thanks for the help with the AEs! Fortunately, I was able to take care them myself but I may need some professional assistance with these Florsheim Imperial Wings 93602 I thrifted.

They are in great condition but the leather feels considerably different than my AEs. More sturdy, less pliable. Shoes may need a conditioning and the heels a cobbler.

Sky Valet is rather expensive.

Any other recommendations in the DC?

Thanks in advance.

Heaf

If you don't mind mailing them, Potter and Sons in Nashville. They are on youtube with the channel "Trenton and Heath" and you can see the work they do first-hand there. I'm taking a couple pairs to drop off when I hit up Nashville in September.

The leather is the same, honestly. Just hit them with some conditioner, then if you want a mirror shine on the toecap you can do that. Neutral Saphir Renovateur would be fantastic.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Hey all,

FWIW, visited Sky Valet (2 min walk away from my job). Unfortunately, the owner told me that they can not replace the heel. The vcleat wouldn't be an issue but the other nails require a machine they do not have. Bummer.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    528 Post(s)
    Hey all,

FWIW, visited Sky Valet (2 min walk away from my job). Unfortunately, the owner told me that they can not replace the heel. The vcleat wouldn't be an issue but the other nails require a machine they do not have. Bummer.
    Nails require a machine?

Something's off. Pliers to remove, hammer to install.