Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Shine!

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    That's too bad about them discontinuing the model/boot. I'd have been interested in picking a pair up during one of their sales.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    They've been discontinuing great models left and right (Shaker Heights, Normandy) . . . They've even introduced cemented shoes "imported" (little to no detail on where they're made) for the same price as their GYW Port Washington lines. Absolutely ridiculous.

Make no mistake, if Caleres keeps going this direction, they're going to destroy AE the way they did so with several other previous heritage American-made brands. I hope it doesn't happen.
    I've noticed that as well; that is, that they are selling shoes made with less expensive methods for the same price as the Goodyear welted shoes. That does seem crazy.

And probably Caleres will continue to pillage and plunder AE--imagine the profit they are making selling cemented shoes for $300 to $450 per pair.

But some other company will start up (or maybe has already) to take the place of AE after people figure out what's going on. And then they will get bought out as well. And the cycle will continue.

Also: Are you sure they are discontinuing the Normandy? I have a friend who has been eyeing those for months. I'd better warn him. Here's a poor musician, so they are a bit of a stretch for him financially, but he may act now if he knows they are discontinued.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaskim View Post
    I apply the mirror gloss in thin layers using my finger, the body heat will help making the wax soft. then I buff it off with a fine soft cotton cloth in small circular motions using just a drop of water. You should not feel any resistance from the wax, if you do just add a second drop of water.
    Thanks for the advice on the Saphir mirror gloss. It really made the whole process easier. I was able to get a decent shine in less than an hour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Resurrecting the thread with a resurrection of my AE Sturgis, of sorts. A year's worth of muddy range days, some very good fortune in the form of a highly successful hunting season, and some rather not-so-great fortune in the form of cleaning up the mess left behind by a tree that fell and trashed my deck, killed my beloved grill, broke a kitchen window, killed some siding, and borked my roof. Twas a royal mess. Pine too, so sap worse than Clark W. Griswold got when he unleashed the Griswold family Christmas tree.

Anywho. Should be pretty obvious which is the before and which is the after. :P

Sturgis Before by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Sturgis After by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
    Very nice cleanup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the Saphir mirror gloss. It really made the whole process easier. I was able to get a decent shine in less than an hour.
    Beautiful looking shoes! Watch that vamp, it could use a thin layer of cream to prevent further drying. But overall, very nice shine, ianr!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PureAndy View Post
    Beautiful looking shoes! Watch that vamp, it could use a thin layer of cream to prevent further drying. But overall, very nice shine, ianr!
    Thanks. I noticed after I took that picture how dry it looked and conditioned it.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    416 Post(s)
    Very nice cleanup!
    obliged, but all the credit goes to the saddle soap, bick 4, and doc martens beeswax conditioner. i'm just the ambulatory idiot who applied 'em.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Yes, @ianr great looking shoes. Great mirror shine. And yes, what he said about preventing further drying.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)
    Vamp after generous application of conditioner...

I will of course condition again soon.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Much nicer!