Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 106

Thread: Show Off Your Shine!

  1. #51
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaskim View Post
    I apply the mirror gloss in thin layers using my finger, the body heat will help making the wax soft. then I buff it off with a fine soft cotton cloth in small circular motions using just a drop of water. You should not feel any resistance from the wax, if you do just add a second drop of water.
    Okay, I'm try it that way. Thanks

  2. #52
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,081
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Kudos to everyone showing a job well done, especially the obvious hard work on some of these.

    I don't spend 5 hours doing this. I would like a perfect shine, but I don't have the patience.

    Here are some pictures of some shoes I had written off because I got tired of the style but then wanted to wear again. From dull with zero shine, what they looked like wet after 45 minutes, and what they looked like dry outside a few hours later. I only did the caps and have yet to work on anything else.

    My technique is a cotton cloth around fingers, spray water mist over cloth, little bit of polish, switch shoes, repeat until I get tired of it. After it is all dried, I use an old pair of nylons to lightly buff out any remaining fog.

    I respect anyone that goes through the additional effort to create the full wax layer.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  3. #53
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    @ianr Very nice, thanks for sharing.

    One thing I've read/learned is that for that mirror gloss, you just want it on the toes/caps--if you put it other places where the shoe bends with your foot and such, it looks discolored when it starts to crack. So, I think you've got the right approach.

  4. #54
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,081
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    @ianr Very nice, thanks for sharing.

    One thing I've read/learned is that for that mirror gloss, you just want it on the toes/caps--if you put it other places where the shoe bends with your foot and such, it looks discolored when it starts to crack. So, I think you've got the right approach.
    I also do the heels. I would only caution that the heels need a bit to dry as the back of trousers can brush this area... After a dry cleaning bill, I only use "clear" wax polish on the heels.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  5. #55
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,317
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    Resurrecting the thread with a resurrection of my AE Sturgis, of sorts. A year's worth of muddy range days, some very good fortune in the form of a highly successful hunting season, and some rather not-so-great fortune in the form of cleaning up the mess left behind by a tree that fell and trashed my deck, killed my beloved grill, broke a kitchen window, killed some siding, and borked my roof. Twas a royal mess. Pine too, so sap worse than Clark W. Griswold got when he unleashed the Griswold family Christmas tree.

    Anywho. Should be pretty obvious which is the before and which is the after. :P


    Sturgis Before by Armed Ferret, on Flickr


    Sturgis After by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

  6. #56
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    Wow! Great job. And they show a lot of great character, even after the clean-up.

    I've been too busy at work and such the last couple of months, so I my shoe-shine time has been limited to maintenance, rather than putting on great shines. And that's why I haven't posted any photos on here for a while.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

  7. #57
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,711
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    Wow. Nice looking boot!

  8. #58
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,317
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Wow. Nice looking boot!

    Yep. Shame they decided to start selling tattooed boots instead. :\

    Caleres would probably run AE better if they took one of those monkeys that gets amorous around footballs my old First Sergeant compared us to, and put IT in charge....

  9. #59
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Resurrecting the thread with a resurrection of my AE Sturgis, of sorts. A year's worth of muddy range days, some very good fortune in the form of a highly successful hunting season, and some rather not-so-great fortune in the form of cleaning up the mess left behind by a tree that fell and trashed my deck, killed my beloved grill, broke a kitchen window, killed some siding, and borked my roof. Twas a royal mess. Pine too, so sap worse than Clark W. Griswold got when he unleashed the Griswold family Christmas tree.


    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Wow. Nice looking boot!
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Yep. Shame they decided to start selling tattooed boots instead. :\

    Caleres would probably run AE better if they took one of those monkeys that gets amorous around footballs my old First Sergeant compared us to, and put IT in charge....
    Apparently AE discontinued that model, eh?

    I've got no complaint with AE if they want to sell ugly shoes in addition to great shoes. Too bad they discontinued the Sturgis--it is a good looking boot, I agree.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

  10. #60
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,317
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Apparently AE discontinued that model, eh?

    I've got no complaint with AE if they want to sell ugly shoes in addition to great shoes. Too bad they discontinued the Sturgis--it is a good looking boot, I agree.

    They've been discontinuing great models left and right (Shaker Heights, Normandy). They also did away with a LOT of sizing options. Take shell Strands for instance. You can get my size, 9.5, in AA, A, C, D, and a boatload of E widths. But they got rid of B widths for some reason. So now I will never be able to own shell strands.

    They've also been moving more and more shoes to being produced in Dominican Republic, instead of Wisconsin. They've even introduced cemented shoes "imported" (little to no detail on where they're made) for the same price as their GYW Port Washington lines. Absolutely ridiculous.

    Make no mistake, if Caleres keeps going this direction, they're going to destroy AE the way they did so with several other previous heritage American-made brands. I hope it doesn't happen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •