Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Shine!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Next is a pair of Bruno Magli derby shoes.

I've had these for at least five or six years, and while the leather is fairly nice, I wouldn't buy them today for a number of reasons, mostly because they have glued on rubber soles. But they look surprisingly dressy for shoes with glued on rubber soles.

They still shine up quite nicely.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    oh sweetie those toes.

index by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1063 Post(s)
    I have Bruno Magli loafers with the same toe. I just thrash them about and they are just great to not care about. I wish I would have known about Dappered back then because I paid $200 for them in the days when AE would have 2/$200 seconds.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I have Bruno Magli loafers with the same toe. I just thrash them about and they are just great to not care about. I wish I would have known about Dappered back then because I paid $200 for them in the days when AE would have 2/$200 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    oh sweetie those toes.

index by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
    Well, I like the way they look quite a bit. But to each his own. And that toe style is the most comfortable for me as well.

And yes, @JBarwick, I overpaid for mine as well, probably around $200, back when I had a vague recollection of hearing the name from someplace as being a good shoe (was it the OJ Trial?). But live and learn.

Given that I just purchased a pair of shoes from Cobbler Union on sale for $149, I REALLY overpaid.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Well, I like the way they look quite a bit. But to each his own. And that toe style is the most comfortable for me as well.

And yes, @JBarwick, I overpaid for mine as well, probably around $200, back when I had a vague recollection of hearing the name from someplace as being a good shoe (was it the OJ Trial?). But live and learn.

Given that I just purchased a pair of shoes from Cobbler Union on sale for $149, I REALLY overpaid.
    I think part of it may be the angle, but honestly I don't think the toe is bad at all. European styling tends to be less round compared to US and it's all up to preference like you said

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    I think part of it may be the angle, but honestly I don't think the toe is bad at all. European styling tends to be less round compared to US and it's all up to preference like you said
    European styling?

John Lobb:

Carmina:

Please understand this isn't said with any intent of being disrespectful, or smarmy, or anything else--but just cause a salesperson says something is "european styled" doesn't necessarily make it so.

The square toes have their place, but one can easily find something even more elegant and refined and less boxy-looking for about the same (if not maybe a little less, or sometimes just a hair more). Even TBNY is a phenomenal shaped last, and full price they're about the same as the BMs.

Monday motivation.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    European styling?

John Lobb:

Carmina:

Please understand this isn't said with any intent of being disrespectful, or smarmy, or anything else--but just cause a salesperson says something is "european styled" doesn't necessarily make it so.

The square toes have their place, but one can easily find something even more elegant and refined and less boxy-looking for about the same (if not maybe a little less, or sometimes just a hair more). Even TBNY is a phenomenal shaped last, and full price they're about the same as the BMs.

Monday motivation.
    Not sure whether you're assuming or implying that my comment was parroting some shoe salesman but I'm literally just observing what I see. I have a ton of European shoes which have a variety of toe shapes (and yes there are some very prominent square toe lasts like TG73 or 888, all comes down to preference), and in general, European shoes have more definition to them compared to US made shoes, whether that's an elongated toe, chisel toe, square toe, round toe, etc. If you look at AE and Alden, the most popular models are on lasts that are fairly blobby and round (65 last, Barrie / Trubalance last). Feel free to disagree with me, but the assertion I'm making here is fairly well observed.

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2011/...s-country.html

The BM shoe seems to have an elongated square toe which is exactly in line with what Justin says about Italian styling. Whether you like that styling or not is a different matter entirely, but even if you don't like it, 1) that's part of the Italian aesthetic and 2) he likes the way they look, they're comfortable, and they fit so that's all that matters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Old picture, but I was satisfied with the shine and like to share it. Antonio Meccariello, Silvano Sassetti and Yanko all treated with Saphir products.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaskim View Post
    Old picture, but I was satisfied with the shine and like to share it. Antonio Meccariello, Silvano Sassetti and Yanko all treated with Saphir products.
    Oh sweet--I missed this until today. Thanks for sharing! I especially like the pair on the left. That might be one of the best shines I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Today's shine is brought to you on a pair of shoes I got on sale from Cobbler Union. Wow, I love these shoes and I got them for such a deal. Although the shines by @kabaskim put mine to shame.

I'm going to need to step up my game.