Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Shine!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    The 1943 last itself adds a welcome touch of European flair to a somewhat stodgy lineup...
    Their 1943 last is my favorite. It subtly sharpens up the 65 without going full Euro.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    Yah! In fall 2016 AE took a bunch of models and made them in midnight blue. I had been lusting after the Cornwallis since Joe talked about them several months prior, and this was the perfect opportunity.
    Wow. Good to know. I have one pair of Cornwallis shoes and they see a lot of action. I remember seeing a pair of blue Cornwallis shoes for sale years ago now and after seeing your shoes I am kicking myself for not jumping on them. Lesson learned.

I didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't sure how to pair them. Sounds like you found a way though. Nice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    Their 1943 last is my favorite. It subtly sharpens up the 65 without going full Euro.
    Oh yes. I liked it so much I ended up getting the Grantham, a walnut plain toe derby, and the forgotten Washington Square, a black austerity brogue. Such a shame they don't make them anymore, as the Grantham was a very cool balance of sleek-but-not-too-sleek last and a casual style, such that it works from jeans to suits. The Washington Square is a bit of an odd duck I get why it probably didn't sell, but I got it basically at cost on Shoebank (can't find what the actual flaw was) and it's a fun way to put a slight twist on boring navy suits or the blazer + gray pants thing.

Any chance you have the St. John? I've been eyeing it since it came out but never pulled the trigger since already have a pair of those burgundy BR Wyatts that Joe was pushing 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Wow. Good to know. I have one pair of Cornwallis shoes and they see a lot of action. I remember seeing a pair of blue Cornwallis shoes for sale years ago now and after seeing your shoes I am kicking myself for not jumping on them. Lesson learned.

I didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't sure how to pair them. Sounds like you found a way though. Nice.
    AE made the Cornwallis and a few others in two shades of blue around then. The one I got was a limited edition midnight, which is almost black under most lighting. Makes it much easier to wear. I think of it as black, but with a little sneakysneaky built in. Later though they got their hands on some bright blue leather and attempted to make that a part of the regular lineup, alongside black, burgundy, brown, and walnut, and it didn't last. I found those shoes garish and think that idea never should have made it past the brainstorm session, but what do I know. If they bring back midnight though, I'd strongly suggest you get in on it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Oh yes. I liked it so much I ended up getting the Grantham, a walnut plain toe derby, and the forgotten Washington Square, a black austerity brogue. Such a shame they don't make them anymore, as the Grantham was a very cool balance of sleek-but-not-too-sleek last and a casual style, such that it works from jeans to suits. The Washington Square is a bit of an odd duck I get why it probably didn't sell, but I got it basically at cost on Shoebank (can't find what the actual flaw was) and it's a fun way to put a slight twist on boring navy suits or the blazer + gray pants thing.
    I have two pairs of Exchange Place cap toe oxfords, in brown and black. They're my conservative "suit shoes". The Exchange Place is basically a Park Avenue using the 1943 last. I used to have Parks but replaced them with these because I liked the sleeker look. I do still have a pair of oxblood 5th Avenues which have the 65 last.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)

check shoebank. i just got a pair of navy cornwallis with dainite soles for 150 bucks.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    A whole page of posts, and not a single photo of a shined shoe!

Any chance you have the St. John? I've been eyeing it since it came out but never pulled the trigger since already have a pair of those burgundy BR Wyatts that Joe was pushing 4 years ago.

AE made the Cornwallis and a few others in two shades of blue around then. The one I got was a limited edition midnight, which is almost black under most lighting. Makes it much easier to wear. I think of it as black, but with a little sneakysneaky built in. Later though they got their hands on some bright blue leather and attempted to make that a part of the regular lineup, alongside black, burgundy, brown, and walnut, and it didn't last. I found those shoes garish and think that idea never should have made it past the brainstorm session, but what do I know. If they bring back midnight though, I'd strongly suggest you get in on it.
    I have two pairs of Exchange Place cap toe oxfords, in brown and black. They're my conservative "suit shoes". The Exchange Place is basically a Park Avenue using the 1943 last. I used to have Parks but replaced them with these because I liked the sleeker look. I do still have a pair of oxblood 5th Avenues which have the 65 last.
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    check shoebank. i just got a pair of navy cornwallis with dainite soles for 150 bucks.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    A whole page of posts, and not a single photo of a shined shoe!

Hey go easy on me, I'm still waiting for the shoes to even be shipped.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)
    okay here's some fair-to-middlin shined shoes. still a ways to go with them before they're perfect, but i can wear 'em out and about now so there's that.

20200215_155003 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

20200215_154952 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    @armedferret

Great looking shoes! AE Cornwallis?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    @armedferret

Great looking shoes! AE Cornwallis?
    Yessir! F2s off the bank with dainite sole. Bit of possible cracking later on but i think frequent cream and such should stave it off for at least one resole job or so. At 150 if they last more than a year (they will) they're ahead of the curve for most dress shoes at the price point.