Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Show Off Your Shine!

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    453 Post(s)
    I often use a toothpick (carefully of course) to get wax out of brogueing perfs.

These aren't brogued though so it was easier. (AE Mora 2.0 in Bourbon)

IMG_20191009_214620_128 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Thought about posting in the Ask a Question thread, but this place makes sense.

I have a couple pairs of AE brogues. I tend to treat them with neutral Venetian Shoe Cream. But, the stuff settles into the brogue and then my shoes are covered in stark white dots. I get out what I can with a q-tip, but some is still visible even after drying. I’m guessing I’m doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is inevitable if you use neutral wax. Now this might be horrific to some of you but I actually use a really small (.035" or less) hex ball driver to clear out the holes. The rounded tip means you're not going to gouge the leather, and you won't anyway if you are careful to just stick it in the holes themselves. Sometimes the pressure from this will mean that little cracks will form all over your polish layer, but when that happens, you can just do one last buff with a thin coat of neutral, enough to smooth all the little cracks over but not enough to accumulate in the holes, and you're done.

Fun tip: if you have spectator shoes, and it comes in the classic coloring of brown brogued cap or wings over white background, it actually provides a very interesting visual effect if you fill the holes in the brown section with neutral polish, as it plays off the white background.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Nice! I quite like those shoes as well as the shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I often use a toothpick (carefully of course) to get wax out of brogueing perfs.

These aren't brogued though so it was easier. (AE Mora 2.0 in Bourbon)

IMG_20191009_214620_128 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    453 Post(s)
    Yeah I dig those too. I think the upcoming suede trunk show I may have to suggest they bring it back (turns out I've managed a bit of clout on SF with their rep there--who knew?) in a snuff color. I'd rock those in snuff in a heartbeat.

Pulled the Brooks Brothers house-branded Shaker Heights out of the back of the closet and they desperately needed some lovin. A pass with AE Bourbon cream, a coat of Saphir high gloss (the "wetter" of their two high-end waxes) over the entire shoe for a leeeeetle protection from the elements and then a couple build-up coats of mirror gloss on the toe. I don't think these have ever gotten waxed, so the toes will need a lot more layers before a true mirror happens and frankly.....i'm not really all that obsessed with it. They're boots, which means they come out when the weather isn't as grand, and the rubber combination sole means they'll be seeing the nastier stuff anyway. I'd be soooooo frustrated (which means the neighbors' kids would learn all KINDS of new vocabulary) trying to maintain a proper mirror shine so I'm just going to keep em around this level. They look a *LOT* better than they did when I pulled them out this morning. And that's good 'nuff for me.

20191011_163506 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    453 Post(s)
    Booooooop.

(of particular note is the dirt I completely left on the sole edge and didn't realize it until after the photo, and since I'm far too lazy to pull them out of the box, bags, brush off lint from the bags, and go back outside before the sun sets, this is whatcha git)

First Ave Shiny by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Wow, you can see yourself in them!
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    453 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Wow, you can see yourself in them!
    Finally got a pair pretty well where I want em all to be....now to get to work on the rest :P

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Not quite mirror yet. These are Jack Erwin. Had some scratches and leather gouged out. Cleaned them up with renomat, patched up all the scratches and edges with renovating cream, left a coat of renovateur on to soak in, brushed out the renovateur wax layer, applied pommadier cream polish including edges of sole, buffed, applied pate de luxe + alcohol + water to heels and toes, buffed.

Only disappointment is now I don't have an excuse to get new black shoes since these are serviceable again.