Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comfortable Sneakery Shoes Recommendations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Comfortable Sneakery Shoes Recommendations

Anyone have any recommendations for a stylish sneaker that is relatively durable and comfortable, especially for wide flat feet? Like for hours of walking during the summer in like NYC. My go to are Penguin Rave Sneakers but they've somewhat discontinued it.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Peng.../dp/B00B5DVEIS

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)
    The verdict is still out on their durability, but I love my Allbirds. They're incredibly comfortable, and are stylish in the realm of sneakers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Absolutely love my Puma suedes and Addidas Gazelles. They look as sharp as a sneaker can get, aren't expensive, and have nice color options. There are also all kinds of converse Chuck Taylors, but its maybe a step down stylewise (to me) and I've always felt they ran a bit narrow and were light on cushioning.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    I would not get any kind of skateboard shoe.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)
    I don't know about being stylish, but Altra makes amazingly comfortable shoes, especially for us wide/flat footed folks. What makes them look less than pretty is that they are actually natural foot snapped at the front, so completely unlike dress shoes and most sneakers.

I backpacked the wonderland trail (Mt Rainier, 95 miles or so) in Altra minimalist trail runners and they were the most comfortable shoes I've hiked/walked in. They also make more sneaker type ones like the one linked below. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZQTL1S...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Also check out Skechers Molsen, and currently there's a great deal on these New Balance Foam Cruz using kinja/gizmodo's code. Their link and code is on this page: https://deals.kinja.com/thursdays-be...=1525967476399

i also just picked these up at Nordstrom rack in navy (previous year's version called Chyll) but steve madden's site has the newest one (called brick in black, white, or grey) for extra 20% off. They're very comfortable and extremely light, like wearing socks. We'll see about durability, though, but again, great for flat/wider feet.
    https://www.stevemadden.com/product/BRICK/249579.uts
    Last edited by Nandyn; May 10th, 2018 at 03:49 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I have a history of plantar fascitis so wear regular old running shoes (like real running shoes not sneakers) whenever I have to do significant walking. The other day an early 20 something African American guy complimented my Brooks Ghosts...I don't know, I guess dad shoes really are back.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wsupjs View Post
    The verdict is still out on their durability, but I love my Allbirds. They're incredibly comfortable, and are stylish in the realm of sneakers.
    Seconding Allbirds. I've done many a full day of walking around in NYC in them and they've held up reasonably well in the less-than-1-year I've had them. Also nice because you can toss them in the wash if they start to get a little smelly. Guaranteed the wool versions are a bit warm for summer months, so I may be leaning away from them the next few months. They did release some new versions that look more breathable/cooler that may work in summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I'm all for Allbirds as well. I like their basic look - it makes them easy to pair with almost anything. I'm about to go through South Carolina summer #2 with the wool runners and they're still kicking and comfortable. Would love to try out the tree versions now which should be lighter.

I also have some olive green New Balance fresh foams which are pretty good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    I'll throw my hat in the ring for Allbirds as well. I haven't had the opportunity to try them myself but I've heard from many that they are very comfortable. If they aren't your cup of tea I recommend giving Greats a try. I have a pair of their Royales I picked up from a sample sale a year or so ago. They've held up really well and are very comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    There are also all kinds of converse Chuck Taylors, but its maybe a step down stylewise (to me) and I've always felt they ran a bit narrow and were light on cushioning.
    These are great for flat feet, but width could be an issue. You'd have to try them and see, and you'd have to try them in a store because their unisex sizing is not standard (typically men need 1/2 size smaller than your usual, women need 1.5 to 2 sizes smaller).
    All that said, I can't recommend them enough if they are the right shape for you: they come in every color, they go well with casual clothes, and if you're a sneakers-and-suit guy I think they look great.