Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Thursday Boot Company Lincoln Loafer Unboxing

  1. #31
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    Bought into Combat Gent and had a first hand experience with their trash products and customer service. Pretty sure I've posted the details on here before.

    Never bought a Thursday product, but I've seen their boots in person. It looks like an Aldo IRL. Check GYW for plenty of photos of their construction. Or just look at the pictures of the lasts posted in this thread. See the same pattern as Combat Gent misrepresenting the materials they use, then backpedaling when called out. See the same types of reviews: either way too over hyped or "for the price I paid..."

  2. #32
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    581
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    258 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Bought into Combat Gent and had a first hand experience with their trash products and customer service. Pretty sure I've posted the details on here before.

    Never bought a Thursday product, but I've seen their boots in person. It looks like an Aldo IRL. Check GYW for plenty of photos of their construction. Or just look at the pictures of the lasts posted in this thread. See the same pattern as Combat Gent misrepresenting the materials they use, then backpedaling when called out. See the same types of reviews: either way too over hyped or "for the price I paid..."
    I have two pair of Thursday boots for over a year and the construction and quality match up to what they've marketed. Goodyear welted boots made with either their proprietary leather or full grain leather. I don't understand what you're saying about misrepresenting their product. As far as the last, I don't even follow your argument. They're misrepresenting the product because you don't like their last? Further, what backpedaling are you referencing? No one on this thread has complained about the company.

    The one spot I agree with you is the caveat that many people feel compelled to include. I am also tired of reading "for the price." An item is either worth buying or isn't, I think the TBC has products that are worth buying which is why I choose to buy stuff. If someone else doesnt, cool, they don't have to. What seems irrational is to get upset about how other people spend their own money and about how they voice their own opinion about their purchase.

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would agree, i also have two thursday boots (captains and presidents) for the past two ears and they certainly have held up very well. The problem with AE is many of their styles are old fashioned with more rounded toe boxes. I actually even purchased the Higgins mills for comparison, but I preferred the Thursday captains for the toe box and overall style, and it had been a great purchase. I returned the Higgins. So in at least in my experience, cost wasn’t the issue it was styling and I felt the quality was comprimable. Don’t understand the hate when if you don’t real experience with the product. Believe it or not, AE is not the only company in the world that can make decent shoes.

  4. #34
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    I have two pair of Thursday boots for over a year and the construction and quality match up to what they've marketed. Goodyear welted boots made with either their proprietary leather or full grain leather. I don't understand what you're saying about misrepresenting their product. As far as the last, I don't even follow your argument. They're misrepresenting the product because you don't like their last? Further, what backpedaling are you referencing? No one on this thread has complained about the company.
    Sorry you can't follow along at home when there is more than one issue. Go do your research a couple years back when they first came out regarding the leather they said they were using and what they were actually providing.

    I never wrote they were misrepresenting their product by the shape of their last. I wrote that their last is awful, and it is. Look at the shape of the shoes in this thread compared to other dress shoes by respectable brands. Those loafers look like they came from Payless.

    And now we have a first time poster chiming in to defend the company. hmmm....surprise.

    I have no issue with companies that do business over the internet. The retail channel is irrelevant. The issue is with companies that are propped up by either 1) fake reviews or 2) reviews by people trying to justify their purchase that are unqualified or too biased to give a genuine review. I guess you could say that about most reviews though--look at Amazon's review problems. I just think the amount of coverage this company gets on social media and fashion forums is disproportionate to the quality of product they put out.

  5. #35
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    317 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Sorry you can't follow along at home when there is more than one issue. Go do your research a couple years back when they first came out regarding the leather they said they were using and what they were actually providing.

    I never wrote they were misrepresenting their product by the shape of their last. I wrote that their last is awful, and it is. Look at the shape of the shoes in this thread compared to other dress shoes by respectable brands. Those loafers look like they came from Payless.

    And now we have a first time poster chiming in to defend the company. hmmm....surprise.

    I have no issue with companies that do business over the internet. The retail channel is irrelevant. The issue is with companies that are propped up by either 1) fake reviews or 2) reviews by people trying to justify their purchase that are unqualified or too biased to give a genuine review. I guess you could say that about most reviews though--look at Amazon's review problems. I just think the amount of coverage this company gets on social media and fashion forums is disproportionate to the quality of product they put out.
    You already point this out but the issue is that most reviews are useless, either because they're fake, or because the reviewer is either unqualified or too biased. I don't think TBC is any better or worse than its competitors (in the $100-$200 price bracket) when it comes to displaying inflated reviews or fashion forum coverage (in fact GYW has an overall negative opinion of TBC). The issue of biased or unqualified reviewers exists to a certain extent for pretty much every single shoe manufacturer, even the respectable brands. If you watch AE promotional videos, their employees say (with a straight face) "here at AE we create the best shoe money can buy with the best leathers in the world and the finest construction" which is clearly exaggerating.

    For $80 or whatever people paid for these shoes, that's probably as good as it gets, and I'm perfectly comfortable with the "for the price" qualifier because price does matter. I have JCP shoes that are worth it for the $50 I paid because I bought them solely as beater shoes, if I had to pay $200 for the exact same beater shoes then they're no longer worth it.

  6. #36
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    581
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    258 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Sorry you can't follow along at home when there is more than one issue. Go do your research a couple years back when they first came out regarding the leather they said they were using and what they were actually providing.

    I never wrote they were misrepresenting their product by the shape of their last. I wrote that their last is awful, and it is. Look at the shape of the shoes in this thread compared to other dress shoes by respectable brands. Those loafers look like they came from Payless.

    And now we have a first time poster chiming in to defend the company. hmmm....surprise.

    I have no issue with companies that do business over the internet. The retail channel is irrelevant. The issue is with companies that are propped up by either 1) fake reviews or 2) reviews by people trying to justify their purchase that are unqualified or too biased to give a genuine review. I guess you could say that about most reviews though--look at Amazon's review problems. I just think the amount of coverage this company gets on social media and fashion forums is disproportionate to the quality of product they put out.
    You have got some chip on your shoulder. Just because you rant incoherently doesn't mean I'm dumb for not being able to read yoyr narrow little mind. If you're unable to carry on a conversation without losing your mind over clothes and shoes, perhaps you should engage in some therapy before snapping at people for not agreeing with you.

    So, to recap, you have no direct experience with the product. You're upset that a product you don't like gets attention. Even though it's perfectly rational for any company to get attention online when they release a new product. As for people speaking with a bias, boy are diving off the irony cliff. As far as I've seen with this company, they have always been upfront about where they sourced their leather. Everytjing else is your opinion asserted as some universal fact.

  7. #37
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    Calmer than you are, dude. I stated my opinion, and your first reply to me was that I was irrational.

    So, to recap, I do have direct experience with the product. You're upset that a product you like isn't well respected by someone else. Even though it's perfectly rational for any person to give a differing opinion online when others write their opinion. So where is this irony cliff?

    As far as universal fact, did you look up where they said they were using Horween CXL but weren't? I'd look it up for you, but my mind is too little.

  8. #38
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    581
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    258 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Calmer than you are, dude. I stated my opinion, and your first reply to me was that I was irrational.

    So, to recap, I do have direct experience with the product. You're upset that a product you like isn't well respected by someone else. Even though it's perfectly rational for any person to give a differing opinion online when others write their opinion. So where is this irony cliff?

    As far as universal fact, did you look up where they said they were using Horween CXL but weren't? I'd look it up for you, but my mind is too little.
    You should look up projection. Are you so worked up that you assume I must also be in a rage? There's is zero point in asserting who's what, so we'll just leave that bit of the conversation right where it is.

    Which is it? Have you tried their shoes for yourself or not? You said earlier that you haven't tried the shoes, now you say you have first hand experience. The only shoe that mentions Horween leather is their natural CXL. I assume you have proof that it's not from Horween then. If you're the one making the claim the burden of proof is on you, that's basic logic. It's not my responsibility to research your claims that they lied.

    As for opinions, you're entitled to whatever opinion you want. I've never suggested otherwise. What's irrational is that your post goes away from opinion into assertion of fact and then you basically called me stupid for asking you to prove your accusation. When I respond to you, you want to play victim.

    As for products I like, your opinion has no influence on my product satisfaction. I still like the boots I've purchased and will continue wearing them happily. I responded to your rant because you called them dishonest without providing any proof, not because I'm offended that you don't like something.

    As for irony, I'll spell it out for you. You're mad about biased, uninformed reviews, yet you're giving an evaluation of a product that you have not seen in person (uninformed) based on your preconceived notions about the company rather than the product.(i.e. existing bias).

  9. #39
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    This thread gives me Combat Gent flashbacks. Oh, it looks alright..for the price I paid...blah, blah, blah.

    Quit trying to justify purchases. The last is awful. The leather is garbage. The quality is horrendous. The sole is a hot mess.

    Why do people continue to support these internet companies with nothing but marketing double speak and paid reviews? Why waste money on these throwaway shoes when you can get shoes that will last a lifetime and look a 100 times better for only slightly more?
    I'm not defending CG but I also was a customer on there early days when they were the talk of the town. I bought many items from them and many still are wearable not fading at all after 3-4 years. TBC it's probably another internet company that probably doesn't know nothing about shoes but they contract with shoe factories in Leon, Mexico that know shoes and put these artisans back to work. The city of León is known for shoe making for many years way before the founders of TBC were even born. Yes the last and quality it's not as elegant as compared to Carmina but they look better what you will find 90+% on most mens feet. I decided to keep my TBC shoes as they go perfect with raw denim and decided to hold on my dream shoe a Cordovan #8(and to be honest I don't need)


    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    My pair of the natural CXL derbies came today and they're more than acceptable. The leather has no defects or discoloration, the stitching is even and tight, they're TTS and comfortable. As a casual shoe they'll do well. For dress shoes I'll stick with AE and Beckett Simonon.

    Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •