Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minimalist wallets - How do you manage with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I was inspired to get a slim wallet/cardholder because the pockets on my Gustin jeans were so tight. It holds exactly what I need:

Student ID
    Driver's license
    Health insurance card
    Debit card
    Transit pass
    A few bills

It's awesome, I won't be going back to a folded wallet any time soon. I find I don't accumulate and need access to business cards, gift cards, etc. If I need something else, I just bring it along separately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    Thank you. In fact it's the post on Mitchell wallet that got me thinking. The one in burgundy looks amazing.
    I have the Mitchell wallet (though not the burgundy, which I agree looks amazing). It was pretty life-changing to go from a bigger wallet that was always uncomfortable when i sat down to something I never notice in my back pocket.

You’ve gotten plenty of good advice here but I’ll add an extra vote for the “stash some of the extra cards in your bag” system- my health insurance and other specific use cards don’t need to be in my pocket all of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sagehen5 View Post
    You’ve gotten plenty of good advice here but I’ll add an extra vote for the “stash some of the extra cards in your bag” system- my health insurance and other specific use cards don’t need to be in my pocket all of the time.
    I like that advice too. i have already started trimming the contents of my current wallet, leaving some cards in the bag and even some back at home. I expect this to give me enough practice before I make that jump into a slim wallet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    I like that advice too. i have already started trimming the contents of my current wallet, leaving some cards in the bag and even some back at home. I expect this to give me enough practice before I make that jump into a slim wallet.
    Yeah I did the same thing and only used the Mitchell sometimes when I first got it because I couldn’t quite wrap my head around not having everything in my pocket all of the time. But I can’t say enough good things about it- I like the way the Chestnut leather on mine has darkened and formed itself, and the tension cash holder has stayed in really good shape after close to 4 years of every day use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Minimalist mindset

I think par of the minimal wallet is changing your mindset. Understanding, 90% of the time, you only need X cards and everything else you can bring with you on that one time you need it.

Like the poster above, many things can also be stored on your phone as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    Minimalist mindset

I think par of the minimal wallet is changing your mindset. Understanding, 90% of the time, you only need X cards and everything else you can bring with you on that one time you need it.

Like the poster above, many things can also be stored on your phone as well.
    Great points. If some card doesn't have a phone version, you can also take a photo of the card that has the bar code scannable. Save it as a 'note' so that you can easily keyword search for it or tell Siri / google when you need it. You can even convert cards that don't have an app it into an apple wallet version using an app like pass source.

I carry a card wallet with 9 cards. (This Paul Smith one sourced cheap from therealreal). Cash goes in a money clip (jack spade bought secondhand from poshmark - I really like this clip, it has a super strong magnet that actually grabs silverware sometimes when I stand by a table). This thread makes me think that I can get down to about 5 cards, just in time for summer, and then put a few of the 9 cards in second wallet, along with the ones that are just sitting in my briefcase or car console, like the Costco card etc.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)
    You really need to cut down on the things you carry everyday. My wallet only contains:

- Drivers License
    - ATM card
    - Credit Card
    - Blank Check

I should probably add my health insurance card to mine. Besides that, you really shouldn't need much else. You can leave the costco and library cards in your car or in your bookbag, etc.

I picked this up from Selfridges when I was in London last year. It is the slimmest wallet I've found (and I have quite a few slim wallets including the Saddleback one mentioned above). Good quality too.
    https://www.aspinaloflondon.com/prod...brown-saffiano
    Last edited by Vicious49; April 27th, 2018 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    It's 2018...go digital! I have all my credit cards & debits cards linked to Samsung Pay/Android Pay. There are apps that can scan membership cards (library/Costco/etc) and store them ready to use.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I Agree with the above posters. When it gets down to it, you probably don't need ALL of the cards you carry. I slimmed down significantly when I switched from a bi-fold to the TGT Americana slim wallet. Right now it's fuller than normal, but it has 9 cards and a couple bills of cash in it. Membership cards are scanned into my phone and I just swipe the barcode from them. I have a handful of personal and corporate bank/credit cards, my license, and a couple health insurance cards. occasionally I'll slip in a gift card or something if I have one and don't know when I am going to use it. Otherwise, I just leave that stuff out until I need it. Dont think I'll ever go back to a "big" wallet.