Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding suit frustrations

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)
    I'm all for peacocking. I do it frequently, when the situation calls for it.

When the situation calls for it.

Going to the Natural History Museum in NYC? Sure! Headed to an original 1920s speakeasy on the Lower East Side (The Back Room--everyone needs to visit!!)? HELLS YEAH. Dinner at Jean-Georges? Nooooooooo no no no.

And on those lines, someone else's wedding is definitely not the situation (unless they've specified it in some way on the invite).

As previously mentioned in full above, that's just too much. White shirt, subdued tie, no clip, *MAYBE* a pocket square depending on how blue the suit is ("cobalt" means different things to different makers, some darker and more subdued than others).

Definitely wear socks though. Sockless in a suit looks great on Suitsupply's advertising, but in real life it's best saved if you're going tieless and belt-free. Which would be perfect if the wedding is on a beach. Otherwise, wear socks.

I will add the caveat that if you talk to the bride (ALWAYS the bride, never just run it past the groom--great way to get him in trouble ) and she's okay with it, then go for it. Be humble about it, acknowledge that you respect it's THEIR day, you're honored to be invited, and would like to know if she feels the chosen ensemble is a bit too punchy. Implore her to be brutally honest--and accept her feedback. She may be totally cool with it. She may have suggestions. She may tell you to get bent. Take none of it personally, and adjust as needed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    If you want that tie, I'd skip all the gold accessories, simple white pocket square (if any), and a white or light blue shirt.
    Oh, I'd missed the gold watch.

Leather band, sure, that can work. Gold bracelet, especially if it's polished, is really going to jump out against the blue suit.

I would absolutely echo the advice to speak to both participants, but would suggest even more caution. If the approval is anything less than immediate enthusiasm, do not risk being the outfit everyone's talking about at the reception.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    All the talk about "not taking attention away from the couple on their big day" is more than a bit self-aggrandizing.

"My daughter looked like a princess in her gown, her sister gave such a beautiful reading, the flowers were so gorgeous it was like a fairy tale...
    but can you believe there was a guy in the fourth row wearing a tie bar AND a pocket square?!?"
    said nobody ever.

Unless you're standing at the alter nobody is going to pay attention to what you're wearing so just relax and have a good time.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1049 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cubist_zirconia View Post
    All the talk about "not taking attention away from the couple on their big day" is more than a bit self-aggrandizing.
    Reminds me a bit of my wedding. I was all over trying to loose a bit of weight and look my best when my buddy said to me "Yeah, because everyone is going to be looking at you...". I thought it was quite funny. And apt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the input so far!

I went by my tailor and wore the white shirt with the suit and think I'll be going with that. For a tie (besides the one I have) what would you go with? I was thinking a burgundy colored tie as we placed that color with the suit and it meshed pretty well but I'm open to any ideas!

I did strike the tie bar from my list as with the three piece suit it should keep the tie in place.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Reminds me a bit of my wedding. I was all over trying to loose a bit of weight and look my best when my buddy said to me "Yeah, because everyone is going to be looking at you...". I thought it was quite funny. And apt.
    Well, there is one person who is definitely going to be looking at you and whose opinion carries quite a bit of weight.

Also, if things work out these are the photographs most likely to be kept and displayed for decades, might as well look one's best.