Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Two months until my wedding and I don't have a suit. Help?!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)
    I like tie #2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    third question:

since it is becoming apparent i will be in the same suit as my groomsmen, is there any reason for us to try and differentiate ourselves? (me in a tie and them with just a pocket square, me with a tie and them completely tieless, etc.)?

thanks!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookinsharp24 View Post
    since it is becoming apparent i will be in the same suit as my groomsmen, is there any reason for us to try and differentiate ourselves? (me in a tie and them with just a pocket square, me with a tie and them completely tieless, etc.)?
    I think all wearing different suits (similar perhaps, but not the same) projects the message that you're big boys who can dress themselves well. YMMV.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    I think all wearing different suits (similar perhaps, but not the same) projects the message that you're big boys who can dress themselves well. YMMV.
    Yes and that is the general advice here but seems they've already gone down that road based on the original post where the groomsmen's attire is already done but the groom is remaining and trying to make the best of it given his time, budget, and advice here.

To address the most recent question:
    It really depends on the formality. Personally I don't like the tie versus tie-less look at a wedding. I am a bit traditional so I feel in general even suits is a bit on the lax side but i understand people are going that way. If the brides dress, bridesmaids dresses, and overall venue (despite just being outside) is informal then yes tie versus tie-less could work.

Personally, given the current parameters, I'd go with you having a different colored tie and pocket square (pink is your accent color correct?). Keep them all in the same tie color and/or style and and pocket square (white simple). You'll also have a different boutonniere usually to set you off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Yes and that is the general advice here but seems they've already gone down that road based on the original post where the groomsmen's attire is already done but the groom is remaining and trying to make the best of it given his time, budget, and advice here.

To address the most recent question:
    It really depends on the formality. Personally I don't like the tie versus tie-less look at a wedding. I am a bit traditional so I feel in general even suits is a bit on the lax side but i understand people are going that way. If the brides dress, bridesmaids dresses, and overall venue (despite just being outside) is informal then yes tie versus tie-less could work.

Personally, given the current parameters, I'd go with you having a different colored tie and pocket square (pink is your accent color correct?). Keep them all in the same tie color and/or style and and pocket square (white simple). You'll also have a different boutonniere usually to set you off.
    it's so funny, having been to quite a few weddings in the past i have never seen mismatched groomsmen, but apparently the matching thing is tacky.

i mean, let's be honest, a lot of things about the wedding industry are tacky.

i tried to approach the subject of mismatching groomsmen to my fiancee as well as others and they had never even heard of/considered it. maybe it's more prevalent in the NE USA for the groomsmen to match.

at any rate, the bridesmaids are all wearing the exact same color dress (different styles), and from a convenience perspective while i loved the idea of giving my groomsman general guidelines, i have to admit varying shades of navy (or whatever), looks kind of off in photos.

again, maybe i am just not used to it. but i do agree, i hate the costumed look too!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    it's so funny, having been to quite a few weddings in the past i have never seen mismatched groomsmen
    I haven't seen matched at weddings I've been too. Mainly northeastern US, couples of WASP, Jewish, Chinese and other origins varying from upper middle class to extremely wealthy.

Actually, there was one wedding in a fairly rural part of Ontario I went to 10+ years ago where there might have been matching men, but I don't think so. The bride was from there and the groom from the American South.

The most recent wedding I went to was a very very opulent one with the bride and groom of Chinese origin, but working in finance in New York. Big money among the families. The groomsmen were all in tuxedos, and it is possible a few matched - perhaps for people who did not have one already. But some did not. It looked great awesome.

I was in a posed photo for one side of the family, also in a tux. We looked fantastic.
    Last edited by JT10000; April 26th, 2018 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    From a photography perspective, you really should be the darker color rather than the lighter color to stand out and be the focus of the photo. Especially if an outdoor wedding, you will blend into the background and the groomsmen will be the focus of the photo (in general). Not that it cannot work but check out photos online ... unless it's a magazine type shoot then most of the time the focus of the photo is the darker one setoff by the lighter contrast. Especially if a light background (aka outside).
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    I agree with hockeysc23 that color probably plays a bigger role in how formal or casual you look, as fabric/texture won't be too obvious from a distance.

Maybe if your groomsmen didn't just buy their navy suits for your wedding you can have them not wear jackets, and you'll be the only one wearing one. Or have them wear their navy suits tieless (I know some people don't like this), and you wear a charcoal suit with a tie to stand out. Find a way to appear just a bit more formal than them. Just throwing around some ideas.
    Would this color look odd in contrast to the darker navy (but not super dark navy) suits of my groomsmen?

Or

Last edited by lookinsharp24; April 29th, 2018 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    This is so nice.