Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two months until my wedding and I don't have a suit. Help?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Two months until my wedding and I don't have a suit. Help?!

hey guys, posted about this before but now i need to actually purchase something. like, within the next week.

i really want to stay on the affordable side, maybe ~$300 if possible.

since my wedding is outdoors in the dead of summer, i am thinking it makes sense to find something in linen or cotton but i am afraid that it might look way too casual.

for reference, my groomsmen are wearing lightweight navy wool suits.

here are some affordable options from J. Crew, your critiques are requested:

Oxford Cloth ~$155 all-in:

Linen (but apparently lined) ~$180 all-in:

Cotton-linen blend, unstructured ~$265 all-in:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    It's your wedding, so you (and your partner) get to decide how casual you want to look!

Personally, I'd err on the side of formal, and for that reason I would pass on options 2 and 3. The texture is just too casual. Out of these, I'd go with the oxford cloth option, as it appears in the picture to be the most structure and have the least visible texture.

How do you feel about light grey? A lightweight tropical wool suit in light grey would be more formal and still summer appropriate while setting you apart from the groomsmen. You might try Spier and MacKay, though I believe theirs are fully lined. I think J. Crew has some reasonably affordable options too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Some may find it odd that your groomsmen look a lot more formal than you. In general it's a better look if the groom is the most formal/dressed. Just something to think about.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    I own an Oxford cloth JCF suit from 2014 and get plenty of compliments on it. Anybody who's asked about it thought it was wool. The physical texture is quite flat but the alternating colour of weft and woof give it a nice visual texture.

I work in finance and never looked out of place. It does wrinkle more than a wool suit, but I've only noticed it after sitting. The Oxford weave means it's less prone to wrinkles than a chino or twill cloth. It also breathes better, though not as well as a tropical weight wool with Bemberg lining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    Some may find it odd that your groomsmen look a lot more formal than you. In general it's a better look if the groom is the most formal/dressed. Just something to think about.
    yep, my worry as well.

something like this could work?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    My thought as well.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    Out of the suits you have posted I'm partial to the Cotton-linen blend, unstructured suit. The suit from your second post, looks like it could work too.

I definitely agree with the other comments on here about having your groomsmen looking more formal than you. Just my $0.02 though.

Also make sure you have a tailor you can trust. After purchasing your suit I recommend going and having him/her take a look just to make sure everything is fitting your just right. Enjoy the day!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Have you considered a lightweight wool navy suit?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    547 Post(s)
    In general given what your groomsmen are wearing I'd stay away from the items you listed. As others mentioned you don't want to be the most casual dressed. If they are in a wool suit then you should probably be as well. But just look for summer weight. I understand the concerns about temperature but those other ones to me would just stand out in a bad way.

Are there any brands that fit you better off the rack?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    547 Post(s)
    Also, it's your wedding ... after some formal photos, you can leave the jacket off while dancing and enjoying the night. Most will be focused on her anyways Don't worry and enjoy!