Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some advice

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    A small-claims court case would be hard to get money out of. You could claim that part of the jeans' value was diminished by the hem. You would be hard-pressed to contend that the _entire_ value was compromised. It'd be like if you took your car in to be washed and they scuffed up the bumper not to your liking; you couldn't sue for the book value of the car.

That all said, it would probably cost more in time and money to pursue than it would be worth in the end.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Oh yea... And I would never trust a dry cleaner to alter expensive items. The fact that they had "notes" and didn't exactly pin/mark the spot to hem is a red flag.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robrose68 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful. As suggested, as long as they are still wearable, and I think they will be, I will just expect to not be charged for the work. It is a seamstress at a small, local dry cleaner and I agree that it would not be fair to try and force her to purchase a new pair of jeans. Mistakes do happen and I can live with that, although I do not expect to take any more work to be done there.

Rob
    very solid perspective and a good plan I think.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post

That all said, it would probably cost more in time and money to pursue than it would be worth in the end.
    and even if you win, small claims doesnt collect the money. It is still on you to do that. at least in my state.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful. As suggested, as long as they are still wearable, and I think they will be, I will just expect to not be charged for the work. It is a seamstress at a small, local dry cleaner and I agree that it would not be fair to try and force her to purchase a new pair of jeans. Mistakes do happen and I can live with that, although I do not expect to take any more work to be done there.

Rob
    I think this is very reasonable. And here is one more idea: Maybe you can sell them and ask her to pay the difference between what you sold them for and the purchase price.

Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Oh yea... And I would never trust a dry cleaner to alter expensive items. The fact that they had "notes" and didn't exactly pin/mark the spot to hem is a red flag.
    Sadly, not a lot of selection here in Williamsburg, VA, but I will definitely try to find someone new.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    That's a great way to look at it. Mistakes happen. Life has a way of rewarding people that handle situations like this. Kudos to you brother!

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    910 Post(s)
    You'll likely have to take the L and move on. Consider it an unfortunately pricey way to figure out you had the wrong tailor.

I still haven't gotten a pair of 2016 TS selv jeans tailored, although I've been meaning to. Good chance this makes me store them another summer before it happens now...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Sadly, not a lot of selection here in Williamsburg, VA, but I will definitely try to find someone new.
    If I were there, I would try Saigon Tailors. The reviews sound like it is just a person operating out of a garage storefront behind their house. The one negative review is someone that couldn't find it.