Thread: Garment weekender combo bag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question Garment weekender combo bag?

Hi,

new guy here.

I'm looking at leather weekender bags for shorter trips, both business and pleasure. Never really used one before, always took a small rollaboard, but am trying to go lighter/smaller.

Some of hte bags I've seen offer a built-in garment bag by unzipping the weekender flat, putting one or two suits in, then zipping it back up, leaving room for the rest of one's clothes and toiletries.

Is this a gimmick or really useful? WOn't the suit get wrinkled with all that other stuff lying on top of it inside the bag? It also ends up being a lot of zipper, and couldn't I just use a regular weekender and fold/roll my suit and lay it on top to avoid wrinkles?

I'm a business professional and like to look well put together, am considering bags from the likes of Hook&Albert, R.M. Williams, and Dell'Ga. Trying to stick with leather, high quality, but not excessively expensive (i.e. not a $4000 bag from Ralph Lauren or similar, rather something around $1000 or less, ideally full-grain leather).

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    There are several designs. The tri-fold bags will keep a couple of suits in good condition similar to a standard one-fold garment bag. The hard-shell bags are best for keeping things from wrinkling when being shoved in overheard compartments, etc. Leather clearly costs a lot for an item this size.

I put my suit jacket and trousers in garbage bags before putting them in any sort of garment bag. This cuts down on wrinkles quite a bit. The plastic rubs on plastic instead of fabric on fabric. However, if I pack any cotton or linen, I always press the sleeves and tail after arrival. I keep a press cloth in each bag for this purpose.

I don't have any specific recommendations as I've not even touched a full-grain leather weekender bag.

Edit: and after reading about the ones you mentioned, the black H&A leather weekender bag looks very tempting. I would guess that design would keep a suit fairly unwrinkled.
    Last edited by ianr; April 18th, 2018 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I was looking specifically at weekenders that "unzip" to become a garment bag. I already have a roll-aboard carry on, and was looking for something soft and stowable in either an overhead bin (especially if I'm packing a suit) or under the seat (probably not if I've packed a suit). They seemed like a really good idea, although doing some research I did see a few people say they were a useless gimmick.

Never having used a weekender at all (but looking forward to tossing a few things into a light and easy to carry bag and taking off - whether car or plane), I'm wondering what other's recommend and have found.

There's a really inexpensive one sold by Combat Gentleman as well. Reviews are mixed.

The R.M. Williams doesn't do the garment bag trick, and on reflection, is really heavy due to the quality and thickness of leather used. I'm trying to stay light, but classy, lol.

Dell'Ga has both versions, with and without the garment bag: http://www.dellga.it/en/prodotti_cat.php?id_cat=3

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Not too long ago, Target carried an inexpensive but decent looking one under the SwissGear brand. I tried the Combat Gent one and didn't like it. It wasn't well made. The Hook & Albert ones look nice. Also check out the J.Crew one from the sale post on the main site today.

These bags are a cool concept, but having to unpack everything to get to your suit isn't very convenient. Currently, I just carefully pack a suit in a rolling suitcase.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    There's one of the zip open/lay flat bags in today's main page post (J Crew sale).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs116 View Post

These bags are a cool concept, but having to unpack everything to get to your suit isn't very convenient.
    This. Now if you made a roller suitcase with a separate suit compartment, i can get behind that....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Before I bought the Gustin twill weekender, I was looking at this Floto Bag. As long as you don't mind the heft of full grain calfskin it is a great price and well made. I have seen a few around airports and they develop a great patina as they age.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1049 Post(s)
    I have zero experience with the bag, but Filson has a bag that might fit your needs. The back open up flat and allows you to 'strap in' a suit on the one side and your shirts etc. on the other side. I was thinking about purchasing a bag like this for myself actually, but when my job changed and I had less travel to do, I decided to save my money for something else.

Note: As I am writing this I went online to try and find the bag I'm talking about. Do you think I could find it? I'll do some additional looking around and hopefully come across it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks, I'll check out the latest recommendations and see how they look.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1049 Post(s)
    Well I tried. I searched and still no luck. If it helps I originally saw the bag over at PutThisOn, so it might be berried somewhere in their site.

Check out the video where Jesse talks about how to pack a suit. The bag I'm referring to is showed in that video.