Thread: Homemade Goodies: Belts and Watch Bands

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Homemade Goodies: Belts and Watch Bands

Been a long time since I've been on the forums! Anyways, bought some 7/8oz Veg Tan leather strips and made myself a 5 strand mystery braid belt, a regular belt, and a 3 strand mystery braid belt for the missus.

Used the leftovers to make 3 quick release watch bands (the one for my wife's Seiko wasn't finished yet when I took the pictures).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    Wow! Very cool. Do you have previous experience working with leather? Or is this something you picked up recently? Where does one obtain leather strips like that?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    Wow! Very cool. Do you have previous experience working with leather? Or is this something you picked up recently? Where does one obtain leather strips like that?
    Thanks! It was fun to do and not too hard! This was my first time making something out of leather (other than modifying a couple one piece leather watch straps into two piece straps). Got the leather from Etsy (Leathercraftsupplies), the seller also has strips with buckle holes prepunched/snaps installed, but I just bought blank strips. The skiver, leather punch, and waxed synthetic thread are from eBay.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    The skiver, leather punch, and waxed synthetic thread are from eBay.
    Oh good you skived the straps. I thought you might have made 7/8 oz watch straps!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Nice work. I did something similar (on a much smaller scale) a year or so ago. Got a small piece of scrap brown chromexcel leather from an Etsy shop and made a watch strap for my Seamaster. Very similar to the one you made here. I wear it almost every day, and it looks and works great!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    871 Post(s)
    Very cool.

I need to get some tools and do some of this. Leatherwork is a hobby I have been tinkering with getting into for a while. I need to get a good list of essential tools to get before starting.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Wow awesome work! Those belts look great! Maybe I’ll take up leatherwork if I stop woodworking haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    They look great, congrats. I saw a similar belt at Target, and considered it for a summer look. I've done a bit of homemade "dappered" work lately, and turned decades old woven shirts into throw pillows. If I get a chance, I will share pics on here.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Thanks guys for the comments! I have a 12"x12" vegtan sheet from Springfield leather coming soon. Gonna make a slim card holder/wallet for my friend's birthday and maybe some more watch straps or something. Might sell a few if I make enough and if there's any interest