Thread: Lightweight, Summer Hats for Middle-Aged Shaved Heads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Lightweight, Summer Hats for Middle-Aged Shaved Heads?

I live in a southern US state and it’s going to get hot soon. I’m looking for recommendations for hat styles to wear for protection against the elements as I am completely bald. This would be strictly for casual wear. I think my flat brim, snapback days are well behind me. I was thinking maybe a flat cap but I am open to suggestions.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    I am not bald but still wear hats when I am going to be outdoors for extended periods. I just wear baseball style caps. Solid colors, nothing crazy. I do have some trucker style outdoor branded hats for hiking and whatnot. For me, anything else just doesnt look right on my head to me. I do wear a straw trilby when I am going to be poolside or at the beach or a "garden party" scenario. I almost bought a panama for my trip to costa rica but didnt start looking early enough to get a good selection

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    You can find cleaner, non-logoed baseball caps/flat brim hats (fitted, without the snapback). You can see them worn by middle-agreed and up executives and style icons, at least in the US.

Part of it is a question of face shape. I've never seen any man who looks good in a bucket hat (and few women), but brim length and crown heights have to fit your face and features (for instance the brim should be longer than your nose).

You mention considering a flat cap; have you thought about a driving cap in a smooth fabric? More refined than the floppy newsboy cap, but timeless enough you'll find it in Olympic atheletes' outfits and on the head of 40-plus-year-old David Beckham. No protection for the ears or back of the neck, so sunblock will still be required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks. I'll try and post a picture later, but I bought a baseball hat that is supposedly "low profile" but I swear I look like Pharrell (in a bad way?).

Do you mean something like this?

I did have one very similar, but it was wool and miserable in the summer heat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    I don't personally have any good summer hats.

However, my (completely bald) grandfather always wore a hat and alternated hats depending on the weather. For warmer days, he wore either a linen or a silk flat cap. I remember these looking sharp as a child, but this style might be decidedly old school... this was, after all, a man that wore a suit to college.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    I'm a big fan of headsweats for close fitting baseball style caps. But I pretty much only wear them when it's shorts weather or if I'm out on a run. In other words, not really stylish. If you're going with a baseball hat, don't forget the sunscreen on your ears and neck.
    https://www.amazon.com/Headsweats-Pe...E00?th=1&psc=1

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sputman View Post
    Thanks. I'll try and post a picture later, but I bought a baseball hat that is supposedly "low profile" but I swear I look like Pharrell (in a bad way?).

I have a linen flat cap like this. It is cool, as in it wears cool - lets the breezes through and such. Whether it's cool from a style perspective or not I don't know. 10 years ago the flat cap was in. These days, well, they never really go completely out of style but they're not trendy anymore. I have a wide brimmed straw cowboy type hat - I guess it's actually more of a wide brimmed straw fedora than a cowboy hat - that I wear when I need serious sun protection. Generally I stick to baseball caps in the summer though...speaking of which I found this outfit at a local street fair called Stockbridge Sewing Works (they sell through Etsy) that enables you to design your own throwback ball cap out of light weight wool (and maybe cotton). They won't violate MLB trademarks but if you get a little creative you can get something one of a kind that reflects your team loyalties without strictly violating the trademark. Or go in a different direction and just go plain with it. Google Stockbridge Sewing Works and you'll find them if interested.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sputman View Post

Yes, something along those lines, but for summer temperatures. Other posters have mentioned linen and cotton versions, which are either breezy themselves or have small openings for airflow.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I don't personally have any good summer hats.

However, my (completely bald) grandfather always wore a hat and alternated hats depending on the weather. For warmer days, he wore either a linen or a silk flat cap. I remember these looking sharp as a child, but this style might be decidedly old school... this was, after all, a man that wore a suit to college.
    I think there is an age where different hats look natural as opposed to trying too hard. When I reach that point I will wear all kinds of hats for sure. Until then, in my area at least, everything other than a ballcap tips you towards hipster territory. But if there is function, I still wear them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    What do you think of this hat?

I'm not sure I could pull it off, but it looks good on Michael and I favor him slightly. What kind of hat is this, exactly? Pork pie?