Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Light use backpack/day pack

  1. #1
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,940
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)

    Light use backpack/day pack

    I need a new backpack to use for around town use. No serious hiking for this one, more of a good "personal item" for traveling or our urban adventures. Preferably not very "technical" looking. But I also sweat a decent amoint and my previous pack that had zero ventilation would drench my shirt back. So I need something kind of like the kelty below but with good breathability on the back. Any suggestions?

    https://www.kelty.com/ardent/

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Varsity Member mcadamsandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    904
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    How about a Filson or something similar that doesn't look like a highschooler's pack?

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,940
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    How about a Filson or something similar that doesn't look like a highschooler's pack?
    I will take a look at filson. Been checking out timbuk2 as well. The problem with most of the better looking packs is they have zero ventilation.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)
    I go with a messenger bag for this purpose. Load issue resolved by alternating left and right shoulders.

    As far as I know, a breathable backpack necessitates a frame (or one with good, functional waist straps) which is too much for urban use.

  5. #5
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,940
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    I go with a messenger bag for this purpose. Load issue resolved by alternating left and right shoulders.

    As far as I know, a breathable backpack necessitates a frame (or one with good, functional waist straps) which is too much for urban use.
    Osprey has some Frameless packs with a mesh suspension... They just look like outdoor hiking packs. I will go with one if I can't find a more "daily use" look though. And messenger bags are a hassle for the way I use these. I need full use of my hands and arms to wrangle kids and what not. With a messenger you have to worry about it sliding around etc

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    I go with a messenger bag for this purpose. Load issue resolved by alternating left and right shoulders.
    I agree with this. Was looking for something similar for work travel. Went with a messenger bag. In the airport I keep it in my hand most of the time because my canvas duffle is strapped on, but it serves its purpose well. Make sure to strap across your body not the same side shoulder that it is hanging on.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,940
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    I agree with this. Was looking for something similar for work travel. Went with a messenger bag. In the airport I keep it in my hand most of the time because my canvas duffle is strapped on, but it serves its purpose well. Make sure to strap across your body not the same side shoulder that it is hanging on.
    Yeah, messengers are cool. I have a few. But not for what I am using this for.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    994
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Backpack fans are a thing now

    https://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/...ntilation-fan/

    Backpacks designed for wearing while riding a bicycle generally have good airflow. But, these also look like other such gear; the color choices put safety way ahead of style.

    There is also the option to coat your back with an antiperspirant containing aluminum chloride: odaban, certain dri, sweatblock, etc.

    Botox is an approved treatment for excessive sweating... it would probably cost thousands to do your back, though.

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Check out Chrome Industries. You may like the Soma--more like a messenger bag that you wear as backpack. Or the Fortnight which looks more like a traditional school backpack.

    I have 2 of their messenger bags (one large with laptop sleeve and one small when just carrying camera gear). Switched from Timbuk2--quality and durability is a step up. They are industructable. I'm commuting on bike everyday right now, including a couple miles on a gravel canal path that gets hella muddy, and the laptop bag still looks new. Just wipe it down with a wet sponge every once in a while.

    Herschel is super popular with the kids these days. Saw a lot of them around campus in Cambridge last term. I like the look of the Little America, and it seems to have some ventilation.

  10. #10
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,940
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Check out Chrome Industries. You may like the Soma--more like a messenger bag that you wear as backpack. Or the Fortnight which looks more like a traditional school backpack.

    I have 2 of their messenger bags (one large with laptop sleeve and one small when just carrying camera gear). Switched from Timbuk2--quality and durability is a step up. They are industructable. I'm commuting on bike everyday right now, including a couple miles on a gravel canal path that gets hella muddy, and the laptop bag still looks new. Just wipe it down with a wet sponge every once in a while.

    Herschel is super popular with the kids these days. Saw a lot of them around campus in Cambridge last term. I like the look of the Little America, and it seems to have some ventilation.

    thanks. Good to hear from a timbuk2 owner. I will look into Chrome Industries. Herschel looks pretty good but I havent been too thrilled with their quality from what I could see/feel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •