Thread: Filson's alternative to the current J. Crew Abingdon briefcase

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)

Filson's alternative to the current J. Crew Abingdon briefcase

I bought one of the older (somewhat) larger Abingdon briefcases for exactly the reason mentioned in the article on the main site - I couldn't afford a Filson at the time. And I used it for several years before it eventually started to tear and become unusable. So, I agree with the recommendation.

But, if the Abingdon meets your needs, you might like to know that Filson's discontinued and poorly named "tablet briefcase" is roughly the same size as the current Abingdon briefcase, and it's pretty easy to find new on eBay in the $150-$175 range. I found mine not too long ago at Nordstrom Rack for $150, so you might get lucky there. It's more expensive, sure, but not so much as to be out of reach for many people considering the Abingdon.

I bought a Filson Original a bit over a year ago, but I've been done with law school for years and no longer have to carry text books around every day, so the size of tablet briefcase is a much better fit most days. And I just don't understand the name--it easily fits my clunky, work-issued ThinkPad (circa 2013) with the extended 9-cell battery sticking out the back, with room to spare for my iPad, charging cables, and a few notebooks. Maybe if they had named it better, it wouldn't be discontinued.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)
    Agreed! I still use my Navy 256 for daily stuff, but the tablet briefcase is an excellent (cheaper) option.

Here's a great review.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Frost River has a couple bags (Simple Brief, Document Brief) that would also probably work, though more expensvie than the J Crew. I've been using one of their bigger bags for the last year, and it is really pretty great.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bassopotamus View Post
    Frost River has a couple bags (Simple Brief, Document Brief) that would also probably work, though more expensvie than the J Crew. I've been using one of their bigger bags for the last year, and it is really pretty great.
    It's interesting that Frost River and Duluth Pack are mentioned quite often on this board, considering they are both local to my area. The Frost River shop is right across the street from one of my favorite restaurants, and close to a great brewery. Most of their products are not only made in the USA, but made in the neighborhood.

Thanks for spreading the word.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I used to live in Minneapolis and went up to Duluth/two harbors periodically for get aways. I’ve been to the Duluth pack store several times, but I think frost river opened after the last time I was there. Both companies make great stuff, though I have a slight preference for the Frost River bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk