Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joe's arm tattoo?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    This is how I imagine Joe's reaction to this post would be...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Quoted
    844 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwwilker View Post
    This is how I imagine Joe's reaction to this post would be...

lol...I hope so. I have tattoos. I also dont care at all what other people think of my tattoos. I didnt get them for other people.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    WTF did I just read?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Damn, coming on the forum and calling someone's tattoo "douchey" is probably more "douchey" than the tattoo itself. And, let's be honest, it looks nothing like barbed wire or tribal when you take an actual moment to look at it for what it actually is.

If you don't like said tattoo, or any tattoos for that matter, just move along quietly. Such a rude thing to do by criticizing someone publicly. Yeah, we all laugh at bad tattoos, but do you shout at these people on the streets? Do you approach them and tell them your opinion? No. Grow up
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    I went back to a few other bare-armed posts in the past and I'm pretty sure that's brand spankin' new. Not sure how I feel about it. While I don't have an issue with tattoos per se, that one seems a bit *ahem* douchey. It's not the same, but very much reminds me of the ole barbed wire tattoos. I dunno, anyone else have an opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Useknifeonly View Post
    I don't think it's so bad. I myself don't have any, but Joe really doesn't seem the type to bro out on something like a tattoo As it is essentially a permanent part of his personal style, I imagine it was considered carefully. Also, who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    Loudest possible eyeroll.
    Looks good, Joe. Show us the whole thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelennor View Post
    As far as Joe's tattoo goes, nothing seems to have changed about the way he runs the site. I never really read Dappered for Joe's biceps, so I'm pretty neutral about the whole change.
    I don't know.

Insofar as Dappered is about personal style and how you present yourself, critiquing a visible tattoo seems as appropriate as critiquing a shirt, isn't it?

I don't know.

On the one hand, a tattoo is a choice about your presentation. So getting feedback on a tattoo style might help others. E.g., if you're considering getting a tattoo you might want to know if people think someone else's tattoo looks "douchey" just like you might want to know if people think your pants fit too tight and make you look "emo" (is that word still in circulation? .

On the other hand, disparaging a tattoo is similar to disparaging someone about something that they can't (easily) change. It's one thing to say that particular shirt is unflattering; it's a bit different to point out that someone is too fat.

Maybe if someone's not asking for a comment on a something then it's rude to give negative feedback. Of course it's always nice to give positive feedback. (The problem with that asymmetry is people may not get a realistic idea of what most people think of how a certain item looks.)

So I agree that ultimately, who cares. But you might just as easily say that about how a suit fits.

As to not looking at Dappered for Joe's biceps, that's fine. But it would be weird to say I don't come to Dappered for Joe's perspective on style and presentation.

I agree that Joe probably thought long and hard about such a permanent style choice (and looking back at the posts on tattoos in Dappered's history, you might be able to guess that he's been considering tattoos for a while) and that he probably doesn't care so much what we think about it.

Finally, my personal rule on getting a tattoo is this: "Draw exactly the tattoo you want on a piece of paper. Put the date on the paper. If 5 years after that date you still want that exact tattoo, then cautiously proceed."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    lol...I hope so. I have tattoos. I also dont care at all what other people think of my tattoos. I didnt get them for other people.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by APinNC View Post
    Damn, coming on the forum and calling someone's tattoo "douchey" is probably more "douchey" than the tattoo itself. And, let's be honest, it looks nothing like barbed wire or tribal when you take an actual moment to look at it for what it actually is.

If you don't like said tattoo, or any tattoos for that matter, just move along quietly. Such a rude thing to do by criticizing someone publicly. Yeah, we all laugh at bad tattoos, but do you shout at these people on the streets? Do you approach them and tell them your opinion? No. Grow up
    This too.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1644 Post(s)
    *has strongly-held opinions about this subject*

Ben

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)
    Nothing wrong with a tattoo here and there.

26907581_10215587560625813_4025745102791150011_n by Armed Ferret, on Flickr