Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to be Stylish at Unusual Events?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    In my opinion the best way to be stylish at any event, is for you to stick closely to a look you are comfortable with. I'm sure you've been to weddings or other events when people are wearing a jacket and tie and it is obvious this is one of the rare times they dress like this. Part of being stylish, is being comfortable in your skin. When I lived in North Dakota, I'd go to country bars with co-workers. The regulars were often real cowboys, and if I would have stuck out like a sore thumb if I tried to fit in, because the look wasn't me. I didn't own Wranglers, and I wouldn't have worn them in the tight way the regulars wore them. Printed twill or denim shirts were big in that scene at the time, another thing I wouldn't add to my wardrobe. And to add to it, I am not comfortable in boots. Instead I would wear a Levi's jacket, or pair of jeans, and a t-shirt, or polo, something like that. It was a casual variation on my everyday style, and I felt comfortable.

Over the years I have gone to many a concert, club and event ranging from punk shows to a club show Prince performed in 1984 on his birthday. I've never strayed far off my personal style to attend them. Sure there were people at First Avenue that looked like they stepped out of the Purple Rain movie, but again, that wasn't my style. I'd look uncomfortable if I tried that look.

So be flexible, by doing a variation on your style. You want to stand out for the right reason.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixmeister View Post
    In my opinion the best way to be stylish at any event, is for you to stick closely to a look you are comfortable with.
    I agree this is one way to go in a pinch. However, for my personal style, if I stuck with my comfort zone, I would look like I stepped straight out of 1999.

I would recommend practicing. It's just like a suit: nobody looks good when they wear a suit once in a blue moon. If you get used to an article of clothing outside the setting you want to wear it, it will look more natural when it is time to for the occassion. Cowboy boots are a little easier than a suit, of course.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Pretty funny.

What do you all think about wearing a long sleeve henley to a dive bar situation? With a jacket or ? A long sleeve polo? A dressier t-shirt (I have a black one with a zipper pocket that has some styling details) with a leather sports coat?

A long sleeve henley (or a short sleeve henley if it's a hot night) would be fine at a dive bar. Dive bars, at least the ones I'm familiar with, are very casual places - that's part of what makes them divey.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Perhaps you could look to Jeff Goldblum for inspiration? He is older and has been killing it style wise.

I went to a dive bar last night in an unlined micro gingham seersucker blazer, and the singer of the band was going crazy over it. The key is feeling comfortable, and wearing things that lean casual. Maybe some of the really young or trendy kids will give you weird looks; but if you wear what youre comfortable in and walk around like you belong, no one will really give you much thought.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    Perhaps you could look to Jeff Goldblum for inspiration? He is older and has been killing it style wise.

I went to a dive bar last night in an unlined micro gingham seersucker blazer, and the singer of the band was going crazy over it. The key is feeling comfortable, and wearing things that lean casual. Maybe some of the really young or trendy kids will give you weird looks; but if you wear what youre comfortable in and walk around like you belong, no one will really give you much thought.
    I like this. I actually know some women 20 or more years younger than I am who have run into Goldblum around LA in a few bars and they think he is a sexy MoFo. And he's seven years older than me.

Yes, I like this idea.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)
    So, okay--we are hosting a karaoke party at home this weekend, and I always wear a button down shirt when we do this. (Note: Not button down collar).

But I'm going to try something different. I'm going to wear either a long sleeve Henley, or a long sleeve polo, or a quarter zip front sweater--all recent purchases.

I'm getting so daring . . .